Discussion Board

Application deployed with smart installer only starts once on Nokia 5800/X6

First some information about the environment:
    -the application is build with Qt Nokia SDK 1.0 and uses the mobility location, bearer, messaging, contacts APIs;
    -both the application sis and the installer sis are signed with a developer certificate;
    -the application was deployed on three devices Nokia 97/5800/X6;
    -the smart installer installs Qt 4.6.3 and Qt Mobility 1.0.2

The installation process is flawless. When prompted by the installer to start the installed application, selecting Yes starts the application without any problems. Subsequently trying to start the application manually fails without any messages. This problem occurs only on the 5800 and X6 devices and NOT on N97.

Any ideas?

Please me know if the provided information is insufficient for diagnosing this problem.

Thank you,
    Andrei

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Application deployed with smart installer only starts once on Nokia 5800/X6

Hi Andrei,

this is an interesting problem indeed. Any chance that you could send us the sis file for a test, to ltomuta@ovi.com? Also, what happens if you don't start the app from the smart installer (answer 'No' when prompted)?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hello Lucian and thank you for your response.

Unfortunately I am forbidden to release the sis file. If I select No the application still cannot be started manually. It's like the app can only start in the context of the installer. Maybe the installer loads some needed dynamic libraries in the memory. Is there any way to determine why doesn't the application start manually? Like missing dependencies or something.

Nokia Developer Champion

What happens if you preload the stuff from the installer and then load the app by itself?

The installer does nothing else but verify what components might be missing and then install them before installing and eventually running your application. There should be no impact on the behavior of the app (or rather there should be only positive impact). Please let us know what you see happening when not using the smart installer but rather endure you have Qt and dependencies already installed and you install the standalone app as well.
    Also, please make sure that you have enabled the Errrd hack (search in the wiki for "Extended panic code") and/or that you use Dr Yukka's Crash Monitor so that you can see any silent panics triggered when the application starts.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

This is soooo weird. This is what I've done:

-I build the application with qt creator and sign it with a developer certificate => app.sis (includes camerawrapper.sis)
    -I run: make installer_sis QT_SIS_CERTIFICATE=my_certificate.cer QT_SIS_KEY=my_key.key => app_installer.sys
    -I install app_installer.sis => it installs camerawrapper.sis, then every needed component and than the application
    -if I try to run the application manually it exits immediately with <Main: 0,Kill> (reported by Dr Yuka's crash monitor)
    -if I install app.sis afterward the problem is solved, the application can be started manually

Can you send me at least the *.pkg files for both the app and the smart installer wrapper? The part where you say that "app_installer.sis => it installs camerawrapper.sis" should not happen at all. app_installer.sis installs as the last (or only) package the app.sis, which in turn installs the camera wrapper sis which it has embedded. There should be no direct connection between app_installer and camerawrapper.sis, for if there is, then you will have a problem as app_installer.sis will get uninstalled, with all its content and dependencies, as soon as the installation of your main app completes.
    -- Lucian

I sent the requested files to ltomuta@ovi.com

Reply sent with solution, hopefully a complete one.

For those running into these types of issues, please note that the _installer.pkg file should be kept clean and should be inspected for sanity if using complex/custom deployment scripts. As of now, default_deployment.pkg_prerules statements are propagated to both the *_template.pkg and *_installer.pkg but they do not necessarily make sense in both cases. For example the following *.pro statements

Code:
    default_deployment.pkg_prerules = "; CameraWrapper embedded sis"
    default_deployment.pkg_prerules += "IF NOT package(0x2001ec5f)"
    default_deployment.pkg_prerules += "@\".\Embedded\camerawrapper.sisx\", (0x2001ec5f)"
    default_deployment.pkg_prerules += "endif"
    would generate the code to embed the camera wrapper component but this makes sense in _template.pkg only, as it is a dependency of the app, and not in the wrapper package which:
    1. does not need it
    2. will be removed from the device, with all its embedded components, as soon as the app install is completed.

Removing the generated embed code from the _installer.pkg should in this case fix the signaled problem.
    -- Lucian

I will test by manualy removing those lines from the pkg file and making the installer. I will let you know as soon as posible what the outcome was. Unfortunately those lines were generated automaticaly by qmake - so it is posible that some work is needed in that area.

Andrei

There is now a bug report created against qmake based on this discussion, see QTBUG-13159
    -- Lucian

Removing the dependency to the camerawrapper from the installer.pkg solves the problem. Thank you