Discussion Board

Discussion/Questions on SW Install Launcher API

Hello,

I'm using the SW Install Launcher API to install applications on a E51 (actually I'm using the XQInstaller, which is just a wrapper around the Symbian API).

I'm trying to install different packages in order to verify that the behavior is desired in all cases. Currently, I have faced two problems with following packages:

1. fluidlauncher.sis
    Installation is silent. However, after first installation the phone displays an individual Icon for each demo application. When installing manually there is only one icon for the main entry. If I install the same application again with SW Installer API ("override"), extra icons disappear and result is same as with manual installation. Why?

1.qt_installer.sis
    During the installation the installer asks for internet access (somehow related to the embedded files?). Is there any way to make it silent? I have tried pretty much all relevant SwiUI::TInstallOptions without visible results.

Thanks for replies.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Discussion/Questions on SW Install Launcher API

1) you may want to check the .pkg file. Self-dependent usage of "if exists" can result in deploying-removing a file on consecutive installations.
    2) if it is the so called "smart installer", it downloads the missing packages from the net (like Qt itself). S60 3rd FP1 devices (like the E51) have no concept for IAP precedences, default IAP, so there is no real workaround for selecting a single best IAP automatically. The behaviour may have changed in newer devices.

Re: Discussion/Questions on SW Install Launcher API

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    1) you may want to check the .pkg file. Self-dependent usage of "if exists" can result in deploying-removing a file on consecutive installations.
    It was just the demo package distributed with the Nokia Qt SDK. So that seems to be flaw in the .pkg file.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    2) if it is the so called "smart installer", it downloads the missing packages from the net (like Qt itself). S60 3rd FP1 devices (like the E51) have no concept for IAP precedences, default IAP, so there is no real workaround for selecting a single best IAP automatically. The behaviour may have changed in newer devices.
    It was the full qt installation package (>10Mb, qt_installer.sis) which also came with the SDK. As far as I know that package contains everything and does not download anything, at least when installing it manually. In addition, it seems that the installation isn't silent at all (notifies about installed dependencies etc). Basically the problem is: Is it possible to install that whole qt_installer.sis (e.g. upgrade) silently without any visible notifications for the user.