Discussion Board

increasing jar size

Hi all,

I am developing j2me applications and run them on different devices. The jar size of the application is increasing after first run of the program. For example, I install the application and the size is seemed to be 315 K. I run the application first time and close. After closing the application, I see the jar size as 360 K. I run it second and third and more times with no problem. It works but jar size remains as 360 K. I want to learn the reason behind that increase. Because It sometimes increases more and more and sometimes results in memory problems.

Thanks and regards.

Re: increasing jar size

I searched in the forums and couldn't find anything about that issue. I am waiting your help.
    Thanks.

Super Contributor

HI may I know on which device are you testing and how are you getting the size of an installed midlet
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Hi,

I tested on Nokia 6300. But I missed one thing. Let me tell again.

I install the application. Run it once. Then close. Switch the phone off and then switch on. I navigate to application folder. I see the jar size increased. Size of the jar is written just near the name of the application.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

To be honest I've never heard of this and I am not aware of some platform-bug that would explain this
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

There must be someone who knows about that issue because It is not first time that I face that problem. Almost everytime I install an applicatio, I see that issue.

Super Contributor

Hi I have not 6300 at my end to check BTW this is completely bizarre scenario that you are describing I think this must be device problem try it on some different device
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Nokia Developer Champion

Are you sure you're using the same metric in all cases? Sometimes size is expressed in K bytes (where K is 1024), sometimes in thousands of bytes, sometimes in megabytes. Which metric is used will produce different values for size.

Additionally, there's often a difference in the size of the file and the amount of space occupied by the file. Sometimes the OS takes more space than the file needs, in order to fit the file into fewer blocks.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by asifsanli View Post
    I navigate to application folder. I see the jar size increased. Size of the jar is written just near the name of the application.
    I think the "size" you see is the total amount of memory used by the application, not just the JAR size. It includes RMS space used too.

Graham.