Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Using maps in FlashLite 3.0

Hi,

Has any-one used Google maps in FlashLite 3 applications? The Google maps API library is available only for AS3.0 and this is not supported in FlashLite3.0. I don't want to just show the static google map image but the map should be interactive and I should be able to show navigation.

Are there other map servcies which can be used with FlashLite3.0?

Available now for download:

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Using maps in FlashLite 3.0

Hi sangramp,
    I think showing an interactive naviagation is not that easy even in Flash Lite 4 i.e by just using the Google Maps component i got not enough memory errors. So, we have to write an optimized version even for AS 3. As far as AS 2 is concerned, i dont find any support yet. But yes! one the thing which i was aware of is modest maps but it doesnt support Google Maps anymore. However, it supports OpenStreetMap, NASA Blue Marble, Yahoo!, Microsoft etc:
    Modest Maps Supports AS 2 & Flash Lite
    I just came across these maps few days back and didnt tried it yet. Wish u luck ..

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

I'm actually trying to do the same thing .i.e. to build an interactive map app.
    Is there any update to this topic. ?
    - David

Regular Contributor

As said by Saji, even Google Maps does not work in FlashLite 4. Just after displaying the maps, it runs out of memory on N8.

I mean by making use of the ModestMaps library. ? - by default it can render a pannable map on flashlite 2.x-3.x devices without memory errors. The problem is adding other services to the mix, like routing, geocoding, etc.
    Was wondering what components were required to build such an app. (from a functional design point of view).
    - David

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    Modest Maps quoted that :
    Where Modest Maps stops:

No default display of geographical map markers.
    No default buttons for zooming or panning.
    No support for “local” API’s, such as business searches or white pages look-up.
    And their AS 2 version updated at 05-Feb-2009. I have no idea yet to add the routing,geocoding features to these maps.But what i saw around is that most of the LBS applications make use of Google Static Maps.One can draw path,markers etc but to make them interactive we have to do some hacking around.Similarly,now we have a competent around OVI Map Rendering API. Moreover, if u want to create a compelte MAP based application then i think u have to go for Qt or live up with static maps . Best Ov Luck

Regards,
    Sajid Ali Anjum