Discussion Board

Question How to invoke real player from my midlet to play a file?

I want to play my video files and audio files which are impeded in jar file
    i seek about this in this forum somebodies says use plateformRequest(URL)
    but i don't know how to get installed real player url to invoke it

Pleas help me how to do this???

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to invoke real player from my midlet to play a file?

Launching a native application from a MIDlet

Note: Only manufacturer and operator domain MIDlets can start native applications.

In Symbian (JRT 2.1 onwards), native applications are launched with the platformRequest(nativeapp method. It identifies the application by its UID (application-uid) or the name of the executable (application-exe). In addition, you can specify a file or other content for the application to run. For example, you can specify the file name of the .jpg image to be viewed when starting ImageViewer application.

The actual command line arguments are entered with the application-args parameter. These depend on the application being launched. For example, Calendar recognizes the Today argument value, which returns the current day. The following example shows how to start a native application with command line arguments:

platformRequest("nativeapp:application-exe=MediaPlayer.exe;content=E:\Feelings.MP3;application-args=-ExampleArgument");
    After the native application has been started, it can acquire the command line arguments in the following manner:

In Series 40, native applications are launched with platformRequest(localapp method. The following opens the Photos folder in Gallery.

platformRequest("localapp://gallery/show?folder=C:/predefgallery/predefphotos");
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    Launching a native application from a MIDlet

Note: Only manufacturer and operator domain MIDlets can start native applications.

In Symbian (JRT 2.1 onwards), native applications are launched with the platformRequest(nativeapp method. It identifies the application by its UID (application-uid) or the name of the executable (application-exe). In addition, you can specify a file or other content for the application to run. For example, you can specify the file name of the .jpg image to be viewed when starting ImageViewer application.

The actual command line arguments are entered with the application-args parameter. These depend on the application being launched. For example, Calendar recognizes the Today argument value, which returns the current day. The following example shows how to start a native application with command line arguments:

platformRequest("nativeapp:application-exe=MediaPlayer.exe;content=E:\Feelings.MP3;application-args=-ExampleArgument");
    After the native application has been started, it can acquire the command line arguments in the following manner:

In Series 40, native applications are launched with platformRequest(localapp method. The following opens the Photos folder in Gallery.

platformRequest("localapp://gallery/show?folder=C:/predefgallery/predefphotos");
    Thank You Very Much,
    Mohammad

Hello, im2amit.

Could you tell me how to open an image in Gallery?

I tried
    platformRequest("localapp://gallery/show?file=C:/predefgallery/predefphotos/sample.jpg");
    platformRequest("localapp://gallery/show?content=C:/predefgallery/predefphotos/sample.jpg");
    platformRequest("localapp://gallery/show?image=C:/predefgallery/predefphotos/sample.jpg");

however, those were not working, and just show the list of folders in Gallery.
    Last edited by Kakao_Stark; 2013-10-30 at 14:05.

Nokia Developer Moderator

This is a 3 years old discussion, so continuing it is not necessarily obvious, things may have changed since then. Consider mentioning the platform/device(s) you are developing for.
    Depending on the platform/devices, besides platformRequest you may want to check the Content Handler API too (http://developer.nokia.com/Resources...ndler-api.html, http://developer.nokia.com/Resources...w-summary.html)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    This is a 3 years old discussion, so continuing it is not necessarily obvious, things may have changed since then. Consider mentioning the platform/device(s) you are developing for.
    Depending on the platform/devices, besides platformRequest you may want to check the Content Handler API too (http://developer.nokia.com/Resources...ndler-api.html, http://developer.nokia.com/Resources...w-summary.html)
    wizard_hu_,

I'm trying to open an Image in Gallery on S40 series devices.
    In the case of Nokia 501, just giving an uri to platformRequest is working properly, however, it's not working on S40 devices "Invalid URL".
    Is the Content Handler API only way to solve the problem?