Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Signing midlet with Thawte code signing certificate, S40, using Netbeans

Hi,
    I bought a Code Signing Certificate from Thawte and followed these installing instructions:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...te_from_Thawte

I have no problems importing certificate reply (.crt) to my keystore and I can sign and build my midlet using Netbeans (v6.9.1) with no problems or error messages.

I also imported root CA:s to keystore (Thawte support recommended) using these instructions:
    https://search.thawte.com/support/ss...tent&id=AR1406

But when I run midlet in emulator or try to install it in phone (Nokia 6212 NFC) I get error message:
    "Application not supported".

Midlet installs and works normally without signing.

I have read almost everything about this from Internet and read Forum nokia threads past four days and beaten my head on the wall, so after that I turned to professionals.

My phone is Nokia 6212 Classic (v. 06.20, 11-02-09, RM-396, Variant: 00.00) and there is following (Thawte's) Authority Sertificates in Settings:
    - Thawte Code Signing CA
    - Thawte Premium Server CA
    - Thawte Server CA

And every CA is valid and "App. signing" is checked in certificates "Select use"-menu.
    Last edited by jarkkokahk83; 2010-08-30 at 11:47.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Signing midlet with Thawte code signing certificate, S40, using Netbeans

Try signing your app using SUN WTK Midlet signing Utility instead of Netbeans.

Also check the System data & time on the computer you are signing the app also check that on the phone.

You signed app may not work in emulator as it might not have the matching public root certificate.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

I signed using SUN WTK Midlet signing Utility, checked dates&times and installed to phone using Ovi Suite.
    Same result: "Invalid application. Delete?"

In .jad -file there is following lines about certificates (so there is 3 certificates: which I paid, Thawte Code Signing CA - G2, thawte Primary Root CA):
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-1: MIIDkjCC.... etc...
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-2: MIIEnDCC.... etc...
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-3: MIIERTCC.... etc...
    MIDlet-Jar-RSA-SHA1: py502b... etc...

Is there some way to check that midlet suite is signed correctly? (hashes calculation match or something else?)
    Or some ideas how to target/search actual reason/cause of that error message?
    Last edited by jarkkokahk83; 2010-08-30 at 20:52.

I got it work.

It started to work when I removed "javax.microedition.io.file.FileConnection" from "MIDlet-Permissions:" and then signed midlet.
    "Always allowed" is now possible to choose in Application access to everything (but not "Auto-start").
    So finally I got it work!
    Now I must resolve why it won't work with "javax.microedition.io.file.FileConnection" added to MIDlet-Permissions JAD-attribute.

Thank you!

Just a thought, but have you set the FileConnection permission as required? If so, then try not to and see if it still won't work.

Also, if you've added the FileConnection permissions and are trying to overwrite an already installed application without them, your phone might refuse to. So always uninstall before reinstalling if you're changing permission requirements.

Yes, I dropped FileConnection from required permissions, after that I can install midlet properly as signed (trusted third party).
    Midlet's camera-function started to work also when "getSnapshot" permission was added.

I want thewet cert that you have bought. Plz send it to me. Adnanshabir030@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan8211475 View Post
    I want thewet cert that you have bought. Plz send it to me. Adnanshabir030@gmail.com
    Dear Adnan,

Surprise to see your given post as one can not use SSL certificate that is asigned to other brads/person or identity. You will have to purchase this Thawte certificate from their official website or from their resellers.

Thawte is a leading certificate authority and will be best choice if you want to protect your code with thawte code signing cert.