Discussion Board

Is the export keyword defined in symbian

I am trying to compile an open source library written in c. A lot of the function declarations begin with the EXPORT keyword. (one example below)
    Compiling the code as is causes 103 instances of the same error(probably one for each function), "declaration syntax error". I have tried replacing the EXPORT keyword with blank space and the keyword extern. In both cases the compile completes successfully with some warnings. When I import the resulting .lib file into my QT application , I get the error "COMDAT symbol '.exc$T' does not match section name '.rdata' " .
    I am guessing this is to do with me replacing the EXPORT keyword. Is the export keyword defined in symbian C++. If not what alternate should I use, please help!
    eg -

EXPORT void speex_bits_init(SpeexBits *bits)
    {
    bits->chars = (char*)speex_alloc(MAX_CHARS_PER_FRAME);
    if (!bits->chars)
    return;

bits->buf_size = MAX_CHARS_PER_FRAME;

bits->owner=1;

speex_bits_reset(bits);
    }

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is the export keyword defined in symbian

Well, the second hit Google finds for speex symbian links back to this site, and contains the location of a Symbian port of Speex.

Otherwise EXPORT in all upper case is most probably a macro, so you could find its definition (the IDE-s can help in that, check the context menu, it is F3 in Carbide.c++), and modify it to an empty #define EXPORT

Thanks for the help. I am now able to compile the speex library with zero warnings and zero errors. However, I get errors in my QT mobile application when I import the library. To import the library I add the following line to my .pro file -

LIBS += C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.8\epoc32\release\winscw\urel\speex.lib

The error I get is -

:: error: C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.8\epoc32\release\winscw\urel\speex.lib(bits.obj): warning: COMDAT symbol '.exc$T' does not match section name '.rdata'

Please help!

Nokia Developer Moderator

bits.obj is something which is created from bits.cpp (or .c) - you could check if that file contains 'strange' code.

Linking directly to a WINSCW version of a library will surely fail e.g. on GCCE/ARMV5 target. Better use
    Code:
    LIBS += -lspeex
    and let the build toolchain figure out the correct library paths for each build.

To Make sure that the problem is not with the speex library, I created my own static library using carbide C++. I just used the default template for a static library. I did not make any changes to the code generated by carbide. I just compiled it, now when I do a nm on mylib.lib I get the following output -

$ nm mylib.lib
    BFD: mylib.lib(mylib.obj): warning: COMDAT symbol '.exc$T' does not match section name '.rdata'

mylib.obj:
    00000000 b .bss
    00000000 r .exc$BBB
    00000000 r .exc$T
    00000000 t .text
    00000000 T ?DummyFunction@@YAHXZ
    00000010 b ?KNullDesC16@@3V?$TLitC16@$00@@B
    00000008 b ?KNullDesC8@@3V?$TLitC8@$00@@B
    00000000 b ?KNullDesC@@3V?$TLitC@$00@@B
    00000000 r exc$bbb_5

Pay attention to the line complaining about COMDAT symbol not matching section name. Also when I import the library into QT I get the same error. This looks like a problem in the way I am using the development tools or my environment setup. Please help!