Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Installing in main "Applications" folder instead of "Installed Apps" folder

Hey guys,

Is there any way to accomplish this? The application I'm working on is going to be embedded/pre-installed on some Nokia phones so I absolutely need to install on the main Applications folder and not the default installed apps folder it creates when installing new apps.

How do I achieve this?

Best!

Regular Contributor

Re: Installing in main "Applications" folder instead of "Installed Apps" folder

I found out that this can be achieved by doing this:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...lication_icons

So, in the file myapplication_reg.rss, I have to add this:

Code:
    RESOURCE APP_REGISTRATION_INFO
    {
    // [...]
    group_name="My own folder";
    // [...]
    }
    On Qt, this is generated by QMake. So, how can I achieve this by modifying the .pro file? I've tried to search for comprehensive info on Symbian specific properties for PRO files and I haven't been able to found anything at all.

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

I'm not expert on Qt yet, so don't really know the answer for teh question. Anyway the method allows you to add the application to your own named folder, not into the mian folder. The menu on Symbian devices is handled in a way that it is not really feasible to put apps into the main menu. It would require some internal atuff to be done, and if I remember right it would also require AllFiles.

Regular Contributor

Hey,

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not trying to put it on the Main Menu per se. See, I have two "applications" folders in my Nokias (I'm testing on 4 5th Ed Nokias), one is called "Applications" and has a cute icon with 3 gray boxes and 1 blue box, and then I have an "Installed Applications" folder which has the ugly generic yellow folder icon.

Nevermind though, since it seems the "group_name" var on the .rss file seemed to do the trick! Only problem is that I don't know how to specify such thing on the .PRO file so right now I'm creating a Custom Build Step after QMake where it replaces by using xcopy the reg.rss file generated by QMake with my own file.

BTW, I used "group_name=Applications" to install it. Seems "Applications" is a localizable flag since it worked on both an English and a Spanish phone.

I find very strange that I can't find any documentation about Symbian-specific properties for PRO files. I've discovered flags like:
    QMAKE_CXXFLAGS, pkg_prerules, vendorinfo, supported_platforms and DEPLOYMENT

But they all took me a really great deal of searching on Google for them.

Isn't there a comprehensive "list" of flags and variables I can define on the PRO file?

Thanks again for your prompt answer!

Super Contributor

I've often speculated that making the .rss file read-only would more or less silently prevent build from overwriting it. Never got around to experimenting with that though.