Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Preparing an app for Ovi

We're trying to get an app ready for Ovi, and the people we're dealing with who need to officially get the Publisher ID et al (non-techies) are claiming that we don't need a Publisher ID if we're uploading to the Ovi Store. I frankly find this to be unbelievable -- especially since this is a Qt app that will use the Smart Installer and therefore needs signed apps inside of the Installer app.

Also we're being told that "different" UIDs need to be used -- not ones obtained from Symbian Signed.

Am I correct in believing that they're badly confused?

Or, if I'm the one that's all wet, is there a good "roadmap" for doing Ovi submissions?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Preparing an app for Ovi

check this link for more information: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Distribut..._signing.xhtml

Super Contributor

That's still pretty vague (though it's new to me). I really need a detailed list I can point at and ask "Have you done this step?"

Also, how does that scheme handle an "onion"? We have one application inside another, and then those will be inside the Smart Installer. Does all that internal stuff get magically signed somehow?

As I'm not official Ovi support person, and thus only know what is available on publis, I would suggest you to send an eamil to publishtoovi.business@nokia.com and ask any necessary infromation youmight need on top of the information available on public.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    As I'm not official Ovi support person, and thus only know what is available on publis, I would suggest you to send an eamil to publishtoovi.business@nokia.com and ask any necessary infromation youmight need on top of the information available on public.
    Already have.

so then I suppose you just gotta wait untill they reply..

Nokia Developer Expert

Dear danhicksbryron,

Would you kindly provide your content name and link and email publishtoovi.support@nokia.com with your issue so we can further investigate for you? As for publisher id's, it is not needed when you are submitting content that is being signed by Nokia. Publisher id's are given to publishers when they sign their content themselves through signing houses such as Symbian Signed.
    If you have further inquiries, please contact publishtoovi.support@nokia.com

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    OviBecca
    Ovi Publisher Support

Super Contributor

They are porobably referring to Nokia Signed. It also works for Qt apps, but has some issues which make it unacceptable for me.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    They are porobably referring to Nokia Signed. It also works for Qt apps, but has some issues which make it unacceptable for me.
    Hi tamhanna, just curious, what it is that you find unacceptable on it ?

Super Contributor

Hi Yucca,
    basically, it is one thing: that I cannot use my own UID3. This makes it difficult for moving a customer from a Nokia build to another build signed by me via EE traditionally (e,g, for an operator store).

Sorry for the large delay BTW - darn book!

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

I would suppose the UID requirement might actually come from Symbian signed, at least with normal accounts the UIDs used for signing must be from the range allocated for the account, anyway feel free to send feedback to Ovi and explain that they could also try implementing a method where the developer would supply their account information and Symbian signed could then verify that the UID is from the developers recerved range.

Anyway, propably would require Symbian signed to change their working ways, so most likely would be a long battle.

Book writing always sounds fun, untill you actually have to write something and get it formatted checked etc, way too much work in the end.

Nokia Developer Expert

Dear Publisher,

All you will need to do is package the QT smart installer and the .sis file into a wrapper.sis file and submit this to the Ovi Publish tool. For instructions on packaging QT applications correctly, please refer to: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ov.../qt-content-qa.

Please ensure that the UIDs used to package the original .sis file are those issued by the Ovi Team. For the wrapper.sis, you may use the reserved wrapper package UID 0x2002CCCF. The QT smart installer comes pre-signed with its own reserved UID so no action is needed from you.

The Signing Team will then dissemble your wrapper.sis and sign your application and repackage your files again and sign the wrapper.

I hope this helps. If you should have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact publishtoovi.support@nokia.com.

Best regards,
    OviAndrew
    Ovi Store Publisher Support
    http://publish.ovi.com/ [^]

Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotions.ovi.com/omt [^]

Super Contributor

Note, though, that Ovi Store seems to support Qt/Smart Installer based apps for only a very small subset of all devices that are capable to run Qt and use the Smart Installer.

Super Contributor

Hi Folks,
    sum comment.

@Petrib: this is a known issue. It used to be but three, should be ten now.

@Yucca: this is easy. Nokia should threaten Symbian to run a signing solution of its own. What I have heard from an Austrian carrier, giving them a call and screaming at them loudly threatening to discontinue all Symbian devices works WONDERS.

Onto a more serious venue: the issue is very true, Yucca. This would effectively undermine the antipiracy function which Symbian Signed currently has (albeit limited). So the probable only way would be to have an extra flag for every UID to signal permittance to Nokia to sign. Or, to just allow Nokia to sign with every UID as the chance that Nokia will pirate sth is very slim.
    My other blogs:

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    @Yucca: this is easy. Nokia should threaten Symbian to run a signing solution of its own. What I have heard from an Austrian carrier, giving them a call and screaming at them loudly threatening to discontinue all Symbian devices works WONDERS.
    Uh, Nokia IS running a "signing solution of its own". That's why a different UID is needed. (Of course, Nokia doesn't mind the fact that it kind of ties you to their store.)