Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Trying Smart Installer: Download error

Hi,
    trying the smartinstaller, I get a "download error".

Before the try:
    the devcert signed application runs without problems on top of manually installed Qt 4.6.3 and QtMobility 1.0.2.

Qmake produced the following lines in the <<app>>_template.pkg :
    ; Default dependency to Qt libraries
    (0x2001E61C), 4, 6, 3, {"Qt"}
    ; Default dependency to QtMobility libraries
    (0x2002AC89), 1, 0, 2, {"QtMobility"}

For trying the smartinstaller, I deinstalled QtMobility and packaged the app with
    make installer-sis QT_SIS_CERTIFICATE=XYZ.crt QT_SIS_KEY=XYZ.key

I copied the resulting <<app>>_installer.sis to the phone and tried to install. First it installs "Nokia Smart Installer" 0.24(0), then "Komponenten werden überprüft" , which means the components are checked, then quite fast I get "Downloadfehler".

Further context:
    5530XM
    There is no directory C:\logs.
    WLAN is active, I can access internet pages from the phone.

Anybody any ideas?
    Klaus
    Last edited by KSchultz; 2010-09-06 at 11:34.

Super Contributor

Re: Trying Smart Installer: Download error

Make sure that there is no firewall in the way.

And, of course, if the download fails you should be able to restart the Smart Installer from its icon and complete the download, once whatever problem you had is cleared up.

Nokia Developer Expert

I made some more experiments:
    - in the previous experiments, WLAN was active on my phone. Now I stopped the WLAN access and tried to install. Reaction the same: "Downloaderror". I have all my access points configured that one is asked before connection, and there was no attempt to ask for a connection.

- you wrote something about Firewall. Sure my WLAN box has a firewall, I can only open a port, but smart installer doku says nothing about this. So I tried a connection to a provider and opened some internet pages before I tried again to install. Now, after checking the components, I was asked to allow for a connection, I allowed, something got downloaded, and the app could be started. Success.

So I could install after many experiments, but no client of Ovi Store would do so.

>>Make sure that there is no firewall in the way.
    Smart installer should function with firewall.

>>And, of course, if the download fails you should be able to restart the Smart Installer from its icon and complete the download, once whatever problem you had is cleared up.
    There is no Smart Installer icon, I started always from the beginning.

>>...once whatever problem you had is cleared up.
    I couldn't find a log file nor something else, how could a client get a hint to clear the problem?

My problem seems to be something with the access points: with WLAN one couldn't install. But a client can surf with WLAN to Ovi Store and purchase something based on Qt, so the smart installer should function with a WLAN connection.

Super Contributor

I agree that WLAN access on Symbian devices is generally screwy (and gets even worse with no SIM installed). But in the couple of experiments I did the Smart Installer actually behaved better than the average LAN-based application.

Nokia Developer Expert

Further experimenting with the WLAN options: today I can't reproduce the error.

Just tried this on a fresh flashed n97, with no SIM. Download error was present, so setup a WLAN destination, and download error still showed. Then went into web browser, and that wouldn't show anything either.. Went into web browser settings, and changed it from the default packet data access point to 'internet' destination, then the web started working, and then the smart installer started working. Bottom line, from what I saw, the smart installer seems to use the web browser access settings, so if having download error with it, make sure you can get to google or something from the default web browser first.

Hi,

I get the same "Download error" when trying to use the Smart Installer. But only in Symbian ^3. Apparently the same package works just fine with S60 5th. Also, I have no problems to install the app using the normal sis file without the Smart Installer. I've just updated my Nokia Qt SDK, so I should have the latest Smart Installer.

Any help would be appreciated. Because of this, my app got only published for S60 5th and not Symbian ^3.

Cheers

Super Contributor

I'd say always be sure you have reliable internet connectivity before attempting the Installer. Remember, the standard install will be to download from Ovi, so there will necessarily be pre-tested internet connectivity present.

But I'm not sure that Smart Installer has been cleared for any ^3 devices yet.

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    I'd say always be sure you have reliable internet connectivity before attempting the Installer. Remember, the standard install will be to download from Ovi, so there will necessarily be pre-tested internet connectivity present.

But I'm not sure that Smart Installer has been cleared for any ^3 devices yet.
    This was the reason why Ovi Store QA did not let it pass for the Symbian ^3 devices. So, if I got it right, basically I shouldn't use Smart Installer for Symbian ^3? I thought that was an requirement.

Cheers

Super Contributor

Only use SI for devices that have been cleared to use SI. Ovi has a list of those somewhere (and it's shorter than the list of ones that "support" SI listed with the SI documentation).

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    Only use SI for devices that have been cleared to use SI. Ovi has a list of those somewhere (and it's shorter than the list of ones that "support" SI listed with the SI documentation).
    Well, I think it should be OK for Symbian ^3 according to this. Anyway, I just made the installer_sis package in a different computer and that seemed to work. So maybe there was something wrong with my Nokia Qt SDK.

Cheers

Super Contributor

What I'm saying is that Ovi store keeps a list that's different from that list (and includes far fewer phones). And they get to say what gets onto Ovi.

You can see the list of Ovi supported devices for Qt HERE look under "Ovi Store intake for Qt apps". Currently 20 devices are supported, this includes the Symbian^3 devices and the Maemo N900.
    The Qt creator update tool is very buggy and is not to be trusted in my experience. To be sure you have the latest smart installer you can download it HERE. Then put it in "C:\NokiaQtSDK\Symbian\SDK" overwriting the existing smartinstaller.sis.

Cheers,
    Jon