Discussion Board

QT OpenGL(ES) Support and Schedule

Hello,

I am trying to found out information about Qt's OpenGL module support for different platforms. Is there anywhere detailed documentation showing which APIs and versions are supported on which platforms?

If I have understood correctly, on Windows, Linux(X11) and Mac the Qt uses the standard OpenGL libraries? But which version (e.g., OpenGL 4.1, OpenGL 3.3 or some other) of it?

On Symbian the OpenGL module is not yet supported, but it is planned to support OpenGL ES. But is there any information about the schedule and which version will be supported? OpenGL ES 1.1 or OpenGL ES 2.0?

On Maemo there seems to be support for OpenGL ES 2.0.

Any information?

Super Contributor

Re: QT OpenGL(ES) Support and Schedule

You can use QGLFormat:penGLVersionFlags() to know with support of which OpenGL version Qt was compiled.
    http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qglform...GLVersionFlags
    N8 supports OpenGL ES 2.0 according official specification:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...ifications/N8/
    Note there is a difference between Qt OpenGL support and device OpenGL support as device can support multiple versions and Qt only one.

Hi Daniil,

Thanks for the info. Hadn't noticed the QGLFormat::OpenGLVersionFlags() operation.

Super Contributor

BTW, as we speak about Maemo 5, it supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and emulates OpenGL ES 1.1. And Qt on Maemo is compiled with OpenGL ES 2.0 support.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by divanov View Post
    BTW, as we speak about Maemo 5, it supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and emulates OpenGL ES 1.1. And Qt on Maemo is compiled with OpenGL ES 2.0 support.
    If Maemo 5 supports OpenGL, do you know why is that when I try to run any of the example OpenGL projects (HelloGL for example) with Qt Simulator, I get "error: cannot find -lQtOpenGL"?

Super Contributor

That's because Qt Simulator target doesn't contain OpenGL library. It was promised that the library will be added in upcoming release of Nokia Qt SDK.

Regular Contributor

That's because Qt Simulator target doesn't contain OpenGL library. It was promised that the library will be added in upcoming release of Nokia Qt SDK.
    Ok, I understand now. So, if I want to make a mobile OpenGL application with Qt without having a device yet (waiting for N8), can I start the development with desktop libraries and smoothly change the platform once a new SDK/N8 is released? Can you give me any link or advise how should I begin with it?

Super Contributor

Desktop normally has OpenGL, not OpenGL ES, thus, some additional porting efforts will be necessary. So you can find any device supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and Qt and test your application there, then recompile it for N8. One of possible choices is N900.

Regular Contributor

Desktop normally has OpenGL, not OpenGL ES, thus, some additional porting efforts will be necessary. So you can find any device supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and Qt and test your application there, then recompile it for N8. One of possible choices is N900.
    Ok, thanks. Right now I just don't have enough money to afford both N900 and N8 (and it wouldn't make a lot of sense anyway since N8 is just around the corner). I have N800 but it doesn't support OpenGL. I think it's just better if I wait for the new SDK or N8 then.

Super Contributor

Forum Nokia offers a service for Remote Device Access (RDA) providing developers with working Nokia devices over the Internet. http://apu.ndhub.net/

I have found solution to to use Qt and OpenGL together in Symbian. http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...412#post779412
    But the solution work very bad on N8. Do have someone ide how we can fix the issue ?
    Last edited by divanov; 2010-09-26 at 21:47.