Discussion Board

Anti theft mobile software???

Hi

Actually i need some guidance on how to make anti theft mobile software...
    I am well acquainted with j2me but not getting how to start..

please somebody guide me...
    Last edited by abhi1988srivastava; 2010-09-07 at 16:14. Reason: wrongly entered

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Anti theft mobile software???

Not so certain that J2ME would have the required capabilities on making a fully working antiteft application, it is rather hard to get done with native coding already. Anyway, not really knowing too much of J2ME, but one way to start is to figure out the functionality you require, and then start looking if they actually can be accomplished with J2ME, and if not, have a look into native programming options.

Super Contributor

Welcome to Forum Nokia!

Could you tell us what "anti-theft" might involve?

Also, is this a personal project, commercial, or academic? I don't think Java ME would be appropriate for a commercial product.... as symbianyucca suggests, it lacks the required capabilities. For an acadmic project, on the other hand, it might suffice for a "proof of concept".

Graham.

Basically i need it for the academics and want to try make and do something new in it (to present the paper in a conference)...
    Actually i am a student of Computer Science(Bachelor)....

The basic of anti-theft like when i change the sim , message must go to 2 numbers which i will define, i want to secure my phone through the pattern of call history + IEMI + typing pattern of the keyboard as used by the user (sounds eerie) etc......

if all the above is not possible..
    please guide me to the basic anti-theft software building....

Regards
    Abhinav

Thanks for the opinion....
    I am ready to bend but ia m not getting how to start with it....

I may not be able to make a full working antitheft but want to know how to program for it and internally, how it works...

i would appreciate any little help...

Regards
    Abhinav

Actually there is nothing new on that, been done plenty of times, even I had one such app made over 5 years ago. Anyway, still not knowing on J2ME, so you could maybe do your own searching, the functionality you would need is:
    - Sending SMS,
    - Identifying SIM (like reading IMSI)
    - Storing the strings (IMSI, SMS numbers etc.)
    - Autostarting on boot time (SIM Chnage requires re-booting, so best place to check the SIM change).

All rather normal operations with Symbian C++, so if you can not find J2ME ones, try checking for Symbian C++ possibilities.

Actually there is nothing new on that, been done plenty of times, even I had one such app made over 5 years ago. Anyway, still not knowing on J2ME, so you could maybe do your own searching, the functionality you would need is:
    - Sending SMS,
    - Identifying SIM (like reading IMSI)
    - Storing the strings (IMSI, SMS numbers etc.)
    - Autostarting on boot time (SIM Chnage requires re-booting, so best place to check the SIM change).

All rather normal operations with Symbian C++, so if you can not find J2ME ones, try checking for Symbian C++ possibilities.

Is there any anti-theft software available for S40, commercial or free? And by anti-theft I mean software that alerts for SIM change by sending sms for a predefined number etc. I find plenty for S60 but none for S40. Does that mean the task is too much for j2me?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Katti View Post
    Is there any anti-theft software available for S40, commercial or free? And by anti-theft I mean software that alerts for SIM change by sending sms for a predefined number etc. I find plenty for S60 but none for S40. Does that mean the task is too much for j2me?
    Too many limitations/restrictions with Java ME for apps like this. I don't know of any such apps that even try to do this properly for Series 40.

With Java, you can send SMS, but whether you can always pick up the SIM change (IMSI change) varies, and there are also challenges getting Java apps installed so that they always start up automatically when the phone is rebooted, and if gets even more difficult if you wish to hide the app from the list of running or installed apps, or prevent uninstallation.