Discussion Board

Super Contributor

broadcasting message system and receiver filter system

Hi I am new to the WAP business

Here is my question. Are there broadcasting messager system currently deployed? I mean cell phone tower actually just broadcast one message to everyone that meets certain criterias without knowing each and every one's phone number. That will save a tons of overhead cost for non-critical information like advertisement since the sender just send the message once. Of course that would go hand in hand with message filter system in the phone that let the owner filter out un-needed messages.

Posted by Bingxie Zhang, bingxie_99@yahoo.com
    on January 20, 2002 at 05:14

Super Contributor

RE: broadcasting message system and receiver filter system

Posted by Brian Easter, brian@beaster.net
    on February 22, 2002 at 06:31

This is already a feature available in most countries, but not widely used. In the US we call it cell broadcast, like if someone walks into a mall and at a predefined time or schedule, a message went out to 4 out of 10 people registered to the site that they show their message to a store and receive a discount. Awesome idea huh? It is possible now, but with GSM expanding in the US as much as possible, this may be too much overhead, even in highly penetrated GSM markets like Atlanta, Ga. You call it messaging and advertising, I call it SPAM. Just think about it.