Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nokia N8

Nokia N8

Hi guys not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move it if needed.

So i finally got my pre-order notification for the nokia n8 in the uk............only thing is theres no option for the orange network.......will it not be available on the orange network? If anyone knows the answer please let me know, i have several contracts with orange and am due an upgrade on my main phone but the only new phone i want is the nokia N8, it will be such hassle if i have to change my contracts to switch networks.

Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia N8

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Super Contributor

Better, yet, why not call Orange in the UK and ask them. They should know whether they're going to have the N8 on contract or not.

Of course, you can also always get a SIMfree N8 that is not tied/restricted to any operator and you can use it with any operator's SIM cards.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Better, yet, why not call Orange in the UK and ask them. They should know whether they're going to have the N8 on contract or not.

Of course, you can also always get a SIMfree N8 that is not tied/restricted to any operator and you can use it with any operator's SIM cards.
    The manager at local Orange shop thinks that they will be offering N8 in jan-mar 2011.
    Nokia World 2010 - Nokia Developers Summit saw the major push to developers for the N8 apps.

If you a commerical developer you are best buying a Sim Free version, so you can test you app with the main telecom suppliers
    Thanks
    Jim

Hy guys, i have some questions:
    -N8 give gorilla glass?
    -Can playing the xvid/divx movies (or other program need)?
    -Can selecting 1 by 1 files in the menu or only mapps/1 file in one time?
    -2 microphones in the device...why?

Maybe noobish questions, but i see other and other version on the sites/forums.

Thx for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by KasyaDMHH View Post
    Hy guys, i have some questions:
    -N8 give gorilla glass?
    -Can playing the xvid/divx movies (or other program need)?
    -Can selecting 1 by 1 files in the menu or only mapps/1 file in one time?
    -2 microphones in the device...why?

Maybe noobish questions, but i see other and other version on the sites/forums.

Thx for the help!
    hmmm..I dont understand your queries much, but seems like an end users query rather than software development one. I case of former, please feel free to continue your discussion in the end users forum http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Hello, as we here are more concentrated on the SW and developing 3rd party applications and services, you should try out the end user support forum as well: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

hey guys.. i own an n8 and want to know where i can find the "plug and touch" application in which i can convert any screen into a touch screen... am not able to find it in the ovi store nor in any other nokia sites.

You should consider the end users forum suggested three times in this thread for such queries.

and the link for it is still: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Super Contributor

An Orange SIM card should work fine in any Nokia handset that has not been locked to some other operator/carrier. In other words, you can buy an unlocked phone and use it with any operator's SIM card, and you don't need to wait for that operator to offer the same model.

----

This is an answer to
    I have been making up my mind to purchase Nokia N8 but i guess i need to put it on hold till someone would reply to the query mentioned by slimemonkey.I also own an Orange Sim and if Nokia N8 does not support this network then i have to get a new sim altogether.This won't be good..

Would really appreciate if someone can solve this query for both of us.

Thanks everyone..
    There was a spam link in the signature, that is why the original message has been removed
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2010-10-21 at 14:42. Reason: Rationale

Nokia N8 and MP4 Stream

Hi there.
    Nokia N8 is VERY promising, though I'm waiting for PR2+ releases.. quite a few bugs noticed.
    Question:

With what em I able to stream .mp4 videoStream from the Web? Browser's Flash Lite 4.0 does not support most of the Web FLV players and besides I don't think they use HW accelerator anyhow..

VideoPlayer does not take .m3u / .pls files... any ideas?

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia N8 and MP4 Stream

VideoPlayer does not take .m3u / .pls files... any ideas?
    Hi, welcome to the forum Nokia Discussion Board.

For supported video format you can check the below specification link for N8.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...cations/N8-00/

Best regards,

Well, I know the videoFormat support, but I wanted to know em I able the play web stream of FLV/MP4 formats. Apparently not.
    What Flash Web Player works btw, with video acceleration natually

Super Contributor

It is supporting Flash video, and also can play from web stream.