Discussion Board

5800 & accelerometer

My Java game ( for S60 5th only ) uses the accelerometer for control. I have submitted it and it fialed QA because

ISSUE: SUMMARY: An error message pops up after launching the application.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download and install the content file OTA.
    2. Launch the application.
    ACTUAL RESULTS: The following error message is dispayed: "Application error: Unhandled exception: No Class Def Found Error...".
    EXPECTED RESULTS: The application launches successfully without displaying any error messages.
    AFFECTED DEVICES: Nokia 5800 Firmware V 20.0.012.

Now, I determined the problem - early versions of 5800's firmware ( 20.0.012 in this case ) do not support JSR256 (Mobile Sensor API). Later versions do support it. When I use 20.0.012 and first install the JSR256 addon ( from http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...beta.sisx.html ) my game works.

So what to do? Obviously, my app shouldn't just throw an exception like this, so I'll update it to check if the class is supported and if not, tell the user to install the SIS package first. But the question remains: would such version pass QA? Another option is to remove 5800 from distribution list, but, why would I give up on the quite popular 5800 Xpress Music only because some old versions of firmware miss functionality?

Super Contributor

Re: 5800 & accelerometer

Did you try to talk to them and explain them the issue?

Tam
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Utumno View Post
    My Java game ( for S60 5th only ) uses the accelerometer for control. I have submitted it and it fialed QA because

ISSUE: SUMMARY: An error message pops up after launching the application.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download and install the content file OTA.
    2. Launch the application.
    ACTUAL RESULTS: The following error message is dispayed: "Application error: Unhandled exception: No Class Def Found Error...".
    EXPECTED RESULTS: The application launches successfully without displaying any error messages.
    AFFECTED DEVICES: Nokia 5800 Firmware V 20.0.012.

Now, I determined the problem - early versions of 5800's firmware ( 20.0.012 in this case ) do not support JSR256 (Mobile Sensor API). Later versions do support it. When I use 20.0.012 and first install the JSR256 addon ( from http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...beta.sisx.html ) my game works.

So what to do? Obviously, my app shouldn't just throw an exception like this, so I'll update it to check if the class is supported and if not, tell the user to install the SIS package first. But the question remains: would such version pass QA? Another option is to remove 5800 from distribution list, but, why would I give up on the quite popular 5800 Xpress Music only because some old versions of firmware miss functionality?
    Dear Utumno,
    When QA tests a content, they will usually test the oldest firmware unless there is a disclaimer in the description to test otherwise. This is due to the fact that most users do not upgrade their firmware. If you would like QA to test on a specific firmware, please make a note in the description and resubmit to QA for review. Please also email publishtoovi.support@nokia.com for specific inquiries so they can further investigate for you.

Thank you.
    OviBecca
    Ovi Publisher Support

I resubmitted and now it has failed because 'Content does not render correctly in portrait mode' . ( also on early 5800 firmware ) . Well, of course it does not - it is only meant to be displayed in landscape and has the

Code:
    Nokia-MIDlet-App-Orientation: landscape
    property in its JAD file. But turns out early 5800 firmware does not honor that!

The problem in general is that the developers almost always develop on latest firmwares, but people tend to have the earliest and most buggy ones. I for one don't have access to early firmwares of every possible handset. Even Remote Device Access for some reason has almost entirely newer firmwares while it really should have more variety!

Super Contributor

Hi,
    this is indeed a hairy issue. Cause: what does it help you if the app makes it past QT and then you have a horde of angry clients?

Let me suggest this: as your midlet starts, check if it is in landscape mode (canvas size). If not, display a polite message and terminate!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Well of course, that's what I did. But in the meantime it's been 3 weeks now and the app is still not in Ovi; I am wondering what 'early firmware' bug will they find this time.
    Nokia is essentially pushing their own bugs on me. If it has to be so, then at least let me test the early firmwares: put them in Remote Device Access!

Super Contributor

Hmm.

So do I understand it correctly that your app was fixed, and is now stuck in QA? If it is this, send me an email (tamhan at tamoggemon point com) and I will forward it to Nokia.

P.S. GDansk...Danzig...enjoy the Goldwasser for me. My last bottle ran out recently ;(
    My other blogs:

No man, the real issue is that Ovi QA tests on early firmwares and Remote Device Access does now have them.

Thus, I cannot test my app on , say, 5800XM firmware ver. 20.0.012 ( but of course I *do* test on 5800XM firmware ver. 51.0.006 as I have the physical device! ) Being unable to test, I just submit my app blindly and each time I get back one bug which only happens on early firmwares. Each one of those 'submit - get one bug back - try to imagine how that particular version of the firmware might be broken - fix' cycle takes a week or so. Wouldn't it be better if simply RDA had the early ( and thus most buggy! ) firmwares available?

Actually I do not like Goldwasser myself.... Too sweet for my taste
    Last edited by Utumno; 2010-10-01 at 10:17.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    too bad you dislike it - would have wanted you to drink a glass of it for me.

Anyways, I here have but two ideas:
    a) you could ask the boys at Symbian-Freak if they are willing to help you downgrade
    b) should I try to accelerate the testing cycle for you?

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    My other blogs:

If you enjoy such leverage over Ovi QA then how about you try to convince them that every single version of firmware they test on should also be in RDA?
    As it stands right now, we've got for example 8 N97s, but all of them with the same, latest firmware version 22.0.012 . the 9 5800XM available also all have one of the two latest 51.0.006 or 50.0.005 .

I am already bitching about that here: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...lder-firmwares but so far, to no avail...

I promise to take a big shot of Goldwasser!

Super Contributor

Hi Utumno,
    first of all, please do not get my wrong - my leverage over Nokia is limited, but I know some people.

Send me an email to my adress, and I will see what I can do for you.

In the mean time: PLEASE look at Symbian Freak. They will probably be able to help you downgrade!!!

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    My other blogs: