Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Do you know any external application to take pictures?

Hi all!

I'm writing an app that shoots pictures and record video and, as some of you already know, Python's camera module takes only beautifully blurred pictures! (In fact, it seems sometimes a photo is taken while the lens are moving, providing a cool "zoom in/out" effect... but since not many people share my taste for artsy photography, I really need my app to take sharp, focused pictures.)

After some search I found the fastcamera module, but I could only find versions compatible up to Symbian 3rd ed., and I need my app to run on a Symbian 5th ed. device. If anyone knows if a Symbian 5th ed. is available, please let me know.

OTOH, I also could call a C/C++ external app to shoot the photos (with autofocus), using e32.start_exe(). Do you know of any already existing apps (Symbian 5th ed. compatible) that takes just one picture and quits? Preferably one that accepts a few parameters (like resolution). If you do, please let me know!

Thank you!

Regular Contributor

Re: Do you know any external application to take pictures?

I tested the S60 Platform: Camera Example on my device and autofocus works fine - now I'll try to modify, compile and install it. If anyone is interested in the results, let me know. (But if you still can recommend an already available app, please let me know, too!)

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by AltoRetrato View Post
    Hi all!

I'm writing an app that shoots pictures and record video and, as some of you already know, Python's camera module takes only beautifully blurred pictures! (In fact, it seems sometimes a photo is taken while the lens are moving, providing a cool "zoom in/out" effect... but since not many people share my taste for artsy photography, I really need my app to take sharp, focused pictures.)

After some search I found the fastcamera module, but I could only find versions compatible up to Symbian 3rd ed., and I need my app to run on a Symbian 5th ed. device. If anyone knows if a Symbian 5th ed. is available, please let me know.

OTOH, I also could call a C/C++ external app to shoot the photos (with autofocus), using e32.start_exe(). Do you know of any already existing apps (Symbian 5th ed. compatible) that takes just one picture and quits? Preferably one that accepts a few parameters (like resolution). If you do, please let me know!

Thank you!
    For symbian C++ you can see here : http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...in_S60_devices

I tested the S60 Platform: Camera Example on my device and autofocus works fine - now I'll try to modify, compile and install it. If anyone is interested in the results, let me know. (But if you still can recommend an already available app, please let me know, too!)
    Yes, I am very interested. I have been thinking of buying the new N8 because of its new camera and (supposedly) good processing power and memory size, which should make it a nice platform for Python based custom camera apps (I'm mostly thinking of various multi-shot things), and that makes me interested in any advances in Python-enabled camera s/w. (As for now, I have a N95, which seriously sucks as a "camera computer" even though it was supposed to be a multimedia computer...). In fact, I hadn't for some reason noticed CameraWrapper before, so thank you for that already.

I saw you made a script using the fastcamera module. can you share the code with us?
    I'm trying very hard to get it to work on my N8, but I can't seem to get it right.
    I'm very new to python, so some good working code would be very helpful!

Love your images taken with your N8 up in the sky!

Regular Contributor

mvuori, I managed to get the fastcamera module working, so I gave up on the "Camera Example" idea. If you are interested, I also created a camera2 module that enables HD video recording. More info at the camera2 thread.

pbc278, I'm glad you liked the pictures! But my code is now huge and very complex, so I'd suggest you to study the testviewfinder.py sample code that comes with fastcamera. It should get you up and running in no time.