Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cryptography (cryptalg) API on Series 60?

hi,

i want to use security features like
    RSA Encryption, RSA Signature , MD5, SHA1 Digest directly on Nokia Series 60.

The Symbian API Doc states that there is a high level security api which allows only password based Encryption/Decryption.

But i want to use RSA, Digest, Keys etc directly not just a password based encryption via CSecurityBase class.

So i found out that symbian offers a high level API for cryptography:

Certificate management (certman)
    Cryptography (cryptalg)

Unfortunatly cryptoalg is not documented any further nor are there any header files for the Cryptography API on Series 60.

Where do i find these headers and libraries to do RSA encryption/signature and Random-Number-Genaration by my self? Why is the cryptography API not documented at all?

Or can i use a 3rd party pure C++ crypto api with symbian series 60?

Thanks in advance

Christoph Brueckner

What C++ libraries do you have in mind

Hi Cristoph,
    I am sorry I can't give you any answer but would be curious to know what libraries you were thinking about?

We are investigating the same matter.

Thanks,
    Marketta

hi Marketta,

seems like the header files for accessing the cryptographic api are only included in the private/internal SDK from nokia.

Regarding your question about other libraries. I found several apis like crypto++ , which is a STL based c++ api, openssl, nss and so on.

Take a look a this link:
    http://www.homeport.org/~adam/crypto/

The main problem is to port api's like to crypto++ to symbian, which gave me a lot of errrors and problems. First of all the symbian programming idoms are not implemented in these Api's. That means no 2 phase object construction. Use of exception which are not supported by symbian. So its very difficult to port crypto++ to symbian. Basically i have to rewrite the whole crypto++ api to make it symbian conform!!!

Then i tried to port Openssl to symbian series 60 which gave me major problems too. Openssl seems to be a standard c library. So i just didnt get it compiled for series 60.

So i am pretty disappointed because i am struggeling porting cryptography apis to series 60 which is already there.

So i am asking nokia engineers once again:

1. Is there any chance to get just the cryptoalg module headers to fully access the series 60 cryptography api?

2. My company is willing to sign a non disclosure agreement and pay some money for getting the headers.

regards

Christoph Brueckner

Hi Christoph ,

Actually we have successfully implemented whole crypto package on Series 60 device using our _own_ crypto libraries.
    For further details please mail me at:

catchkd@hotmail.com
    Last edited by kumardeepak; 2004-08-06 at 10:39.

Regular Contributor

I'm also interested in your crypto package

Kumardeepak,

I was unable to send you a mail with regard to your package. Would you please update your e-mail address if necessary?

Thanks,

tOtE

Hi tote_b5,

We can communicate further information regarding Crypto Packages and engine on Series 60 and other symbian based OS.
    You can catch me at catchkd@hotmail.com

regards
    Kumar Deepak

Nokia Developer Moderator
    I hope you own the code (in case you are selling it), anyway sputty has source code for RSA and 3Des at lest which are quite easy to get out and running.

yucca

Thats great,

I am also planning to port Crypto portion of OpenSSL package for Symbian Series 60.

regards
    Kumar Deepak

Still a problem?

Is this still a problem in series 60 2.0/7.0s? Im wondering if the files have just not been included due to export restrictions. Has anyone got a workaround?

HI taperoni,

Could it be possible for you little precise about your question or requirements. Nokia SDK doesn't provide the Crypto routines though the Symbian has as their documentation says.

For this reason I have to write my own crypto routines.

regards

Hi all,

we are Symbian Licensee together with Crypto library licensee, so we are able to provide the solutions based on those APIs unless it is against Symbian licenseing rules.

Please contact b2b@psiloc.com for more details and furthere discussion.

Br,
    Psiloc Mobile Solutions

Regular Contributor
    Could a Nokia engineer please reply to this thread? I need the cryptography module. Since it is already in the OS, I'd like to use it instead of reinventing the wheel.

How do I get a license to use this module? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

p.s. jaceklis, how did you obtain your license to use the crypto module???

Super Contributor
    You must be a Symbian Platinum partner and then also license the Symbian OS DevKit from Symbian Ltd:
    http://www.symbian.com/partners/partners.html

Encryption/Signature

Hi, cbrueckner:
    I have the same problem as you , I want to know how did you resolve crypto library in symbian.
    Have you found the solution about it?

Regards
    Linda.Kang

Nokia Developer Moderator
    there are quite many different open source projects made with c, which can be ported to the symbian OS rather easily.

So just google a bit, read the license terms, and if you can agree with them, then just start porting.

yucca