Discussion Board

Qt SDK and Nokia's 'signing Symbian apps for free'

Hello Symbian gurus,

I am a long time J2ME dev with quite some desktop C++ experience but very little knowledge of Qt or Symbian C++. Recently, after hearing that Nokia is now signing Symbian ( and Qt ) apps for free, I am trying out Qt SDK. It's quite neat, however I've got one problem.

I use the latest version of Qt SDK for Linux, updated today. I also use Remote Compiler. Compiling an a) unsigned b) self-signed binaries for Symbian S60 5th ed both work fine.

What does not seem to work is compiling the binary and signing it with my dev cert.

I applied to Nokia for more details about this 'free signing' initiative, they sent me 5 UIDs, a certificate and a key file. Now I try to use them in the following way:

- in Qt SDK -> Projects -> Targets -> Remote Compiler -> Build Steps I set 'sis type' to 'smart installer' and in the 'symbian signing' section I give the location of my certificate and key files. Password is empty.

- in the .pro file, I add the following section

symbian {
    TARGET.UID3 = 0x2xxxxxxx # one of the UIDs I got from Nokia
    }

and I try to compile. Remote compiler responds with:

Code:
    (...)
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/leszek/NokiaQtSDK/Projects/HelloWorld'
    make -s -f Makefile sis

file I/O fault, cannot open c/wcc/build/home/leszek/NokiaQtSDK/Projects/HelloWorld//.cert/OVI_08-30-2010.crt.

SIS creation failed!
    make -s -f Makefile ok_installer_sis
    Error  Cannot find file  C/home/leszek/NokiaQtSDK/Projects/HelloWorld/HelloWorld.sis
    (28) : error: file I/O fault.
    file I/O fault, cannot open helloworld_installer_unsigned.sis.

SIS creation failed!
    Build Failed: Errors in build
    Error while building project HelloWorld (target: Remote compiler)
    When executing build step ''
    The same procedure works if I leave the 'certificate' and 'key' editboxes empty, but of course in this case the resulting .sis is self-signed.

Could anyone shed some light how do I sign a .sis file in Linux?

Super Contributor

Re: Qt SDK and Nokia's 'signing Symbian apps for free'

The problem is that the files that contain your certificate are on your box, not on the remote compiler box. Try just creating a self-signed .sis and then "unsigning" it with signsis. Then resign it (signsis again) with your cert.

1) if the problem really is that the cert and key files are on my local comp, then how come Qt SDK has a UI which lets me specify the cert and key files together with Remote Compiler? Since the UI is there, I expect that the files get sent to the Remote Compiler?
    2) how do I get this 'signsis'? It doesn't seem to be a part of the Linux install of the Qt SDK.

Let's rephrase the question: suppose I have an unsigned .sis file, a cert and a key file. On Linux. Now:

- how do I sign it? Could anybody point me to a webpage which describes the process?
    - what do I have to modify in my project's .pro file? I expect I have to add something, the UID for one?

EDIT: ok, seems like if one works on Windows, one can download a little utility called 'signsys' and perform signing from command line. It also seems to be integrated into Windows Carbide.c++.
    However, how about Linux? Signing locally seems to be impossible since there is no (?) Linux port of the 'signsis' thingy, and integration with Qt SDK / Remote Compiler is buggy.
    Could anyone working on Linux confirm?
    Last edited by Utumno; 2010-09-16 at 06:52.

Utumno: Thank's for feedback! That signing with Remote Compiler should work as you expected. I can confirm that there is a bug and currently signing with your own certificate doesn't work. I post here as soon as it get fixed.

Edit: Should work now
    Last edited by tomyri; 2010-09-16 at 11:18.

Super Contributor

I don't know how you get to signsis on Linux. On Windows you open a Qt command window (which is basically a command entry screen pre-primed with some SET operations), navigate to the directory where your sis file is, and follow the help text from signsis. Presumably on Linux "locate" should be able to find signsis for you.

tomyri: cool! Thanks a lot. I confirm it's working now.