Discussion Board

New Revenue Share

Hello,

Im assuming we all receieved the email yesterday announcing new RS fixed rate operator billing.
    Well.... i read the new T&C today
    and i have a couple of questions.....

1. what IS the value of this new rate of operator billing (you forgot to mention on the email... on purpose?) i know that in the past the operator billing rates that nokia had a deal with ranged from 40%-80% (very few had 80%).

2. item 4.3. Nokia shall pay You seventy percent (70%) of the Net Revenue attributable to purchases of Your Content by end users that pay by credit card; and sixty percent (60%) of the Net Revenue attributable to purchases of Your Content by end users that pay using operator billing. You agree that Nokia may increase the percentage of Net Revenue payable to You for either operator or credit card billing without having to amend this Agreement.

before this change 70% was for ALL payment methods so how exactly does this coincide with the email declaring we can expect to see an increase of upto 50% on net income??? (i mean most of the payments are done via operator billing and you are reducing the net price we receive from it)

Regards
    Shai

How does

Super Contributor

Re: New Revenue Share

I am not on the distribution for such any such email you mentioned, but regarding #1, your #2 seems to already answer it: 40/60 split with operator billing for all operators. In practice I'd take this to mean that if Nokia can negotiate better deals than that with some operators, they win on those cases, and in cases the operator deal is worse, Nokia loses. Presumably they're hoping that it'll even out that way, but makes things simpler for publishers.

no petrib
    you have miss-understood it.
    the #2 refers to the RS of the developer with nokia it is AFTER the operators have took their cut (which we dont know what is the new value is) it is just the NET revenue.

Super Contributor

I took it to mean that the new model is now a fixed 40/60 for operator billing without taking the operator share first, like in the old 30/70 model where you get 30/70 from credit card and with operator billing there's first an operator's cut taken out before the Nokia/publisher split (leaving you much less than 70).

Anyway, hard to say, as I haven't seen the email you're referring to, nor any other announcements regarding the matter.

Super Contributor

Forum Nokia Developer News email that arrived last night says:

"To make Ovi Store even more profitable for developers, starting 1 October, Nokia will apply a flat 60/40 revenue share on the end-user price (net of taxes) for operator billing, in addition to the 70/30 for credit-card billing. For publishers, that’s an improvement of over 50 per cent from the previous revenue share."

Seems pretty clear to me: Taxes off the top and of the remainder...

...with credit/debit card billing, 70% to publisher, 30% to Nokia

...with operator billing, 60% to publisher, 40% to Nokia (and if operator billing is 20%, Nokia's left with 20%; if operator billing is 40%, Nokia's left with 0%; if operator billing is 60%, Nokia is left with paying 20% additional from its own coffers, etc.)

In any case, it is clearer/simpler for the publisher, and whether Nokia loses or makes money with operator billing, it is Nokia's business (the incentives are high to Nokia to get the operator billing deals below 40% so that they can at least cover the costs, but ideally - more unlikely, I'd say - also make money also on operator billing deals).