Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

PyS60 and Nokia N8

Hi,

Has anyone installed PyS60 2.0.0 into Nokia N8? Tried once, install
    reported as success, but my python apps didn't run. Screen flashed,
    nothing else.

Installed everything on memory card, my apps have always worked
    from there. Guess it's time to try again with "normal" memory...

Btw weird thing: could not find scriptshell after installation. Yes, I did
    install it separately, not expecting to get it as part of 2.0.0 installation.

Weird,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: PyS60 and Nokia N8

I am not lucky to own an N8 yet!
    But its reported working on Symbian^3 devices and emulator by friends
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

Hmph, lost my reply somehow... Anyway, would like to ask a clarifying question: where should I download SIS files: Maemo Garage or Symbian Foundation? Checked both, can't really see difference, but at least Symbian Foundation site was missing a standalone Script Shell package.

Currently, you can download it from either of the places since they are same. In the future, Symbian Foundation Downloads page would always have the updated version.

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    but at least Symbian Foundation site was missing a standalone Script Shell package.
    You need to download these files from SF download page. After installing or extracting you can find the SIS files for runtime and the shell in \PythonForS60\PyS60Dependencies\ of your Python installation (Windows users can open the directory from the start menu).

(Windows) PythonForS60_2.0.0_Setup.exe
    (Mac/Linux) PythonForS60_2.0.0.tar.gz
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

Ok, re-downloaded same files from Symbian Foundation! This time I will install on C-drive, just in case. Will report how it goes

Super Contributor

Greetings,

Found two issues, which I would report as defects, if I could find a proper place for these:

1) When you launch PyS60 application, someone requires a network connection. If network connection fails, application will not launch. Tested with O2 SIM card, which provides me only wap access point...

2) When you open PyS60 based application without having installed python runtime beforehands, Smart Installer opens SW Update and fails to find anything to update. Guessing some database somewhere is missing information about Nokia N8 and/or python runtime 2.0.0.

Happy to report that running script files via python ShellScript worked ok.

Cheers,

--jouni

Happy to report that running script files via python ShellScript worked ok.
    Good to know that it works on N8
    Greetings,

Found two issues, which I would report as defects, if I could find a proper place for these:

1) When you launch PyS60 application, someone requires a network connection. If network connection fails, application will not launch. Tested with O2 SIM card, which provides me only wap access point...

Many things here would depend on the definition of the "PyS60 application", specifically what version of PyS60 was the application packaged for? There has been a good amount of change while moving from 1.4 branch to 2.0 branch, in regard to packaging. So if an app with older version is installed I don't think it would be able to fetch the right runtime. In other words, this should be a PyS60 2.0.0 app to prove the reported case.
    2) When you open PyS60 based application without having installed python runtime beforehands, Smart Installer opens SW Update and fails to find anything to update. Guessing some database somewhere is missing information about Nokia N8 and/or python runtime 2.0.0.
    I believe this should be an issue with the IAD and is fixable. Could you report this to Maemo garage?
    https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?at...54&func=browse
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

1) When you launch PyS60 application, someone requires a network connection.
    I reported this problem some time ago. In my case, I just turn on Wi-Fi to be able to open the Python shell (and I don't even need a SIM card in the phone).

2) When you open PyS60 based application without having installed python runtime beforehands, Smart Installer opens SW Update and fails to find anything to update.
    I was going to test this, thanks for letting us know!
    Last edited by AltoRetrato; 2010-09-29 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    But its reported working on Symbian^3 devices and emulator by friends
    Did you hear anything about the listbox display update problems occurring on S^1 with PyS60 2.0 from your friends?
    Thx Martin

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dehlerm View Post
    Did you hear anything about the listbox display update problems occurring on S^1 with PyS60 2.0 from your friends?
    Thx Martin
    Met some python people during Nokia World and afterwards at Meego Networking Helsinki meetup. Seems like there is still lots of interest to have/use python inside Nokia devices, but that PyS60 has kind of dropped off the radar. Complained about infamous listbox update problem, but got the feeling that nobody (at Nokia) is responsible for fixing those bugs any more...

Personally I will update all my python apps to use PyS60 2.0, re-release and that's about it. Next python apps from me should be using PySide, even thought that looks quite a lot more difficult than PyS60. Well, at least PySide is under active development.

Cheers,

--jouni wondering where in the ForumNokia could PySide discussion board be

Hi JOM!

I'am a bit new in python development for symbian, sorry if I say something stupid... :-)
    Actually I am starting to develop some scripts for the N97 and wondering if these scripts will work in N8?... Basically I work with files, graphics and bluetooth communications. To have my python scripts running on a N8, I would need to install the PyS60 binaries in a N8 phone, and here come the first doubt:

1) would these binaries runtime and shellscript (that work perfectly with my N8) install and work also in a N8?

A second question is related with PySide:

2) By installing Qt and PySide will we be able to write python scripts in Qt IDE and then run them on N8? My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that Qt is an IDE to develop C++ applications for any Nokia mobile phone.

Thanks a lot!

Guilherme.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by gcarvalho View Post
    2) By installing Qt and PySide will we be able to write python scripts in Qt IDE and then run them on N8? My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that Qt is an IDE to develop C++ applications for any Nokia mobile phone.

Regarding your second query I can say that Qt is not an IDE but it is a Language similar to C++ for developing application for any platform. IDE use for developing this Qt application is either Qt Creator or Carbide C++.
    Jajal Mehul

JOM - Thanks for this thread, I was wondering what to do with my afternoon... Now I will try to install PyS60 2.0 on my N8.

I have also downloaded PySide. If you decide where you are going to start the PySide threads, let me know, as I know I will have questions.

I installed PyS60 2.0.0 on the E: drive of my N8 and it is working. I installed the PythonScriptShell_2.0.0_high_capas.sis file also to the E: drive and it is working - sort of. I can write a small python script in the N8's text entry place then it will show up in the script shell, but when it comes time to hit a 'return' button to get the shell to execute the script, it is a no go as I don't have a 'return' button on the N8.

Which then leads me to wonder if there is a way to assign a custom functionality to a physical button when it is in the python script shell, eg make the camera shutter button be the 'return'?

Regular Contributor

msjen,

You should have a return key when you use the keyboard in landscape orientation (it's in the lower right corner, before the backspace key).

To write code directly on the phone, first you must select Options -> Interactive console. Try something simple first (like "print 1") and you'll should understand how it works.

But I think the best option is to use the Bluetooth console (inside Options). This way you can type using your computer's keyboard and get the PyS60 console output on your monitor, which is much more comfortable and productive.

Happy programming!