Discussion Board

Can I use openGL ES for "Qt for Symbian"

Hello,

I have tried compiling the openGL examples for target symbian, but Qt creator gives build errors about missing headers (gl.h).

I read in some thread that the simulator doesn't support openGL ES, but you could build openGL ES apps for devices (N8). Anyone know if this is possible?

Re: Can I use openGL ES for "Qt for Symbian"

Now I got rid of the header errors, but now I get a "no rule to make target.... qtopengl.dso".

Could someone test those openGL examples (hellogl, hellogl_es,hellogl_es2) for symbian and verify that they get the same errors. So I would know that the problem isn't in my configuration.

Super Contributor

If present at all, there is a support only for QpenGL ES 2.0. Desktop version of Open GL is not meant to work and/or be supported on mobile devices.

Quote Originally Posted by divanov View Post
    If present at all, there is a support only for QpenGL ES 2.0. Desktop version of Open GL is not meant to work and/or be supported on mobile devices.
    Thanks for your reply.

The example hellogl_es2 should be for OpenGL ES 2.0, I think? And that doesn't build, so this means that even OpenGL ES 2.0 isn't supported by "Qt for Symbian"?

I really would need the openGL ES 2.0. Hmmm. Since native symbian supports openGL ES 2.0, would it be possible to mix native symbian with Qt and get the openGL ES stuff working from there?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mahofi View Post
    The example hellogl_es2 should be for OpenGL ES 2.0, I think?
    Yes, this is correct.

And that doesn't build, so this means that even OpenGL ES 2.0 isn't supported by "Qt for Symbian"?
    There is no such thing as Qt for Symbian, but Nokia Qt SDK may not have QtOpenGL module included. I have no means to check it as I'm Linux user and there is no Symbian target in Nokia Qt SDK for Linux.
    You can give a try to QGLFormat::openGLVersionFlags () and see what it returns under Symbian target and (if it compiles)
    http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qglform...GLVersionFlags
    do not forget to include
    QT += opengl
    into a project file.

The Nokia Qt SDK has the QtOpenGL module included, since I can get it to work for maemo. Thats why I use the term "Qt for symbian" = using Nokia Qt SDK for symbian target.

So anyway. I made a new project and added the line:
    QT += opengl
    in .pro file and that gives the error "no rule to make target: ...qtopengl.dso". So this probably means that the QtOpenGL module is not for symbian.

Now I'm trying to do the openGL ES stuff with native symbian and using that with Qt (Qt allows mixing with native symbian). I managed to get the correct libraries in, but now I need to "tie" the openGL to something (widget?) to show it on screen. If anyone has tried something like this, help is appreciated.

Super Contributor

The Nokia Qt SDK has the QtOpenGL module included, since I can get it to work for maemo. Thats why I use the term "Qt for symbian" = using Nokia Qt SDK for symbian target.
    Maemo and Symbian targets have their own Qt implementations, so if something is available for one doesn't mean it's available for another.

Regular Contributor

OpenGL for Symbian is not supported yet in 4.7.0. Fingers crossed for the next minor release...

Jack