Discussion Board

Question Poll about the homepage of Nokia Symbian ^3 phones (N8, E7, C6, C7...)

Hi!

Just a short poll. The question is voluntarily general, in order to prevent a bias in your answer. Please answer without reading previous answers from other people. Once you've written your own answer, you can however read previous comment and tell whether you agree with it or not... I'll explain what my aim is after I have a reasonable amount of answers...

Question : if you play the sequence between 0m03s to 0m13s on this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuWVK81xB50), do you notice something that seems weird or problematic to you?

Bye,
    Yann
    Last edited by yannlossouarn; 2010-09-21 at 19:56.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Poll about the homepage of Nokia Symbian ^3 phones (N8, E7, C6, C7...)

I guess you wanted to write "Please answer without reading previous answers from other people", without the "don't".
    You probably mean the delay between the gesture and the effect - or perhaps the fact that the 'main' display is the leftmost one (there are 3 of them as I know). Anyway, be advised that "Forum Nokia Developer Discussion Boards", and Forum Nokia in general are about developing 3rd party software for Nokia devices. End-user discussions: http://www.nokia.com/discussions

Ok, great, thanks for your reply... I wanted to poll all kind of people, including developers. If you have commenst about the gesture-effect delay, could you tell me more in PM, please?

Best regards,
    Yann

Nokia Developer Moderator

I do not write PM-s, but here are my thoughts in white, so if someone wants to join the game, she or he can add comments without being biased.

It is not clear what happens if someone turns the pages back and forth again. Since both the second and third pages seem to contain various text extracted from some larger database (calendar, messages, etc.), it is acceptable if there is some delay when the related widgets are starting up and loading the content after a reboot. When he is flipping the pages for the second time, it seems to be fast, though he is using the "dots" that time. The gesture recognition strategy may also matter, it seems to wait for the gesture to be completed. It may enable recognizing more complex gestures than sliding left or right, but I do not know if it happens or not.

@wizard_hu : great, thanks!

For an explanation on the aim of the poll, you can refer to http://www.twitlonger.com/show/65cc3k . Please try to answer before reading it...

Super Contributor

The delay of the home screen scrolling is the unexpected behaviour, IMO. It gives the impression that the device is slow (can't keep up). That's most probably not true and not the real reason why this is so; there's probably a perfectly valid engineering reason why this happens, but if it is not changed in the final product, it will leave a bad first impression... and those that are not totally put off by it and buy/use the device anyway, will soon stop paying attention to it, and think of it as natural after a while.

Super Contributor

All I can say is that on my Samsung Wave and my iPod it works differently (aka in real time).

I didnt note it on my personal S3 device yet though.

But now that you said it,. I start to see it!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog