Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Registering at Ovi store: Personal vs Corporate account type

Dear all,

I was following the Publisher Registration process and stopped right at the first step, where I'm asked what type of account I want: Personal or Corporate. The only explanation about this choice is:
    Select "Corporate" if you represent a company and would like to publish content on the Ovi Store.

Select "Personal" if you wish to publish content as an individual on the Ovi Store.

I thought this explanation was somehow too simplistic and tried to dig more. The Publish Guide says:
    Corporate accounts are designated for legal business entities. These accounts may apply for a Media Publisher that permits distribution of audio, video and personalization content

Personal Accounts are designated primarily for individuals that wish to distribute content. These accounts cannot apply to be a Media Publisher
    (Obs.: underlined by me)

This is still absolutely not clear. What is "personalization content"? Is it related to just "themes" for the phone (like background images)? And what kind of "content" is being talked about on the Personal Accounts paragraph?

I'm also not sure if these are really the only differences between the two account types.

Another question: is it possible to "upgrade" a Personal account to a Corporate one (or vice-versa)?

If a Nokia representative is reading this, I suggest that these questions should be clearly answered on that page.

Super Contributor

Re: Registering at Ovi store: Personal vs Corporate account type

In Nokia terminology: personalization content = UI themes, wallpapers, ringtones.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by AltoRetrato View Post
    Dear all,

I thought this explanation was somehow too simplistic and tried to dig more. The Publish Guide says:
    [INDENT]Corporate accounts are designated for legal business entities. These accounts may apply for a Media Publisher that permits distribution of audio, video and personalization content
    Hi,
    Don't bother you have not got the USD 5,000 per month for $1 Million US content litigation and Copyright insurance for a corporate Media account.

The content in a personal account is application, Symbian,Maemo(N900),Java,FlashLite,WRT
    see Ovi Store Wiki pages for more detail

At the newly announced entry price of 1 euro from October 2010 for personal accounts cant be bad see http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...l=1#post781138
    Thanks,
    Jim

Super Contributor

AFAIK, one can have a corporate account also without the media insurance.

MI is needed ONLY for themes, sounds and BG images AFAIK.. So if you want to sell apps, you just need to decide:
    am I an INDIVIDUAL
    or am I a LEGAL ENTITY (UK Limited, BVI, SRO, etc)
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Expert

Dear AltoRetrato,

As a "corporate", you would need a registered business, tax numbers, business contact, etc. It is possible for corporate accounts to publish video, audio, ringtone and wallpaper contents.
    As a "personal", you are only able to publish Symbian, Java, WRT, Flash and Qt based applications.
    If you are only an individual developer, but register a business later, you can change your account to "corporate" once you provide the required information such as VAT/TAX number, company logo, website, contact, etc.
    If you have more quesitons, please feel free to contact us at publishtoovi.support@nokia.com

Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for your answers!