Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to implement auto fill facility in text box

Hi

I have to make an application which will take input from the user in a text box and has to save the information somewhere. Now a bit of complexion is that while he will type in that text box a pop up will come which will show the list of the names as compared to the text he is entering and that list will filter out as the user type the words and will give the final selection item from the list.

Is it possible to implement this....please guide me initially what need to be done

Thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

Re: How to implement auto fill facility in text box

Guys any help

Nokia Developer Moderator

I guess you are talking about a listbox with a search field. Search for search in the Wiki.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply. But my problem is a bit different . I want to have a search field and then if I will type something on the search field a filtered list will appear ...something like that. In the given examples the list appears first and the search field appears at the bottom. In my application I have a huge database from which the user will select the required information .That database i have to link with the list box which will appear only after I type anything on the search field. I guess I am able to make my doubts clear. Now is this be done.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vicky_nits View Post
    Thanks for your reply. But my problem is a bit different . I want to have a search field and then if I will type something on the search field a filtered list will appear ...something like that. In the given examples the list appears first and the search field appears at the bottom. In my application I have a huge database from which the user will select the required information .That database i have to link with the list box which will appear only after I type anything on the search field. I guess I am able to make my doubts clear. Now is this be done.
    Sure it can be done, but there are no ready made controls for it, thus you would actually need to design & implement a custom control to do the task, thus it might be a lot easier to just use the control that is already available.

Regular Contributor

Hi ...thanks for your reply. I need some help in building that control,if you can guide me. I have made a search field box using CAknSearchField. Here is my code

Code:
    void CTestexampleContainer::InitializeControlsL(const TRect& aRect )
    {
    iFindBox = CAknSearchField::NewL( *this, CAknSearchField::EPopupWindow,NULL, 20 );
    CleanupStack::PushL(iFindBox);
    CleanupStack::Pop(iFindBox);
    iFindBox->MakeVisible(ETrue);
    iFocusControl = iFindBox;
    iFindBox->ActivateL();
    iFindBox->DrawNow();

void CTestexampleContainer::LayoutControls()
    {
    iFindBox->SetExtent(apos,TSize(Size().iWidth - 95,40));  // apos is a point where I am placing the search box
    }
    In the CountComponentControl i am returning the control,iFindBox.

Now right now I am not able to write anything on the search field box as when I try to write anything its gives KERN EXEC 3 which is i guess some pointer/content is not initialized and I am using it or something.

So can you please guide me how to proceed next.. Like on writing anything a list will pop up showing the items as written on the search box. I am trying to make it .Need some help. In the process will also learn this.

Thanks in advance