Discussion Board

Java/SMS/WAP - point me in the right direction!

I am new to Nokia development and am looking at the possibility of using Nokia phones as part of our in house work ordering system. I need to send job tickets to staff and then allow them to respond with job start/finish times and optional comments.

Having browsed through the developer pages I am unclear as to what direction to take. We currently have SQL Server/IIS server backend systems that we would want to link the systems too.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Jonathan

Nokia Developer Expert
    You haven't made it clear which Nokia you're targetting.

If I was given this problem, I'd rule out SMS immediately. Purely, because SMS would not provide a good user interface for your staff to reply with job start/finish times.

Java MIDP has the advantage of being easily portable to non-Nokia phones.

WAP - XHTML applications would be the easiest way to write a quick and simple application. Assuming your Nokia phone supports XHTML browsing.

WAP ON

I have now worked on this and roughed up a WAP application - unfortunately most of our phones are WAP only - not XHTML. Ideally I would have like to use the XHTML functions to send emails back to our helpdesk. I have had to rely on an IIS ASP page to get posted info and save it to a database.
    I am going to investigate Java MIDP further as this may give me more control over the interface

Thanks for the comments