Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Paint function timing.

This is probably a bit of a confused noob question but.....

When (or how) does the paint function get called for the active Canvas ? Is it synced to some sort of vsync or called a set number of times a second, or does the painting thread just get a proportion of the CPU time ?

Basically I'm trying to understand how my games run and paint functions should be synced with each other and have the game running at full speed.

Obviously you only want the game to do one update loop for each paint loop, does calling serviceRepaints() achieve this ie yield the current run thread and cause the paint function to be called immediately or does it sit around and wait for the paint function to do it's thing at it's own pace.

tia
    dan

My personal experiences show, that the paint() method only gets called upon application start, and when you call it manually using repaint().

Regular Contributor
    Cool - that's useful

cheers
    dan

No, this isn't correct. The repaint does not occur when you call repaint(). Calling repaint() schedules an event which is executed by a seperate thread on the phone (which also handle user input). This is not dissimiliar to the AWT thread in J2SE.

Supposedly, serviceRepaints() is supposed to block (ie. yield the current thread) and not return until the painting has actually been carried out.

My experience is that this has not been implemented properly on Nokia phones :-( There are solutions - but all of them are hacks.

Regular Contributor
    >My experience is that this has not been implemented properly
    >on Nokia phones

It seems to be working on the Nokia 7210 - are there any specific phones that show this behaviour ?

Regular Contributor
    I have found that if you make a repaint(x,y,widht,height) call from a secondary thread that paint is called inline. Maybe I was screwing something up but if you want you can try putting this snippet in an app to see if you can replicate the problem.

public void repaintStuff(){
    System.out.println("Before");
    repaint(0,0,100,100);
    System.out.println("After");
    }
    public String str;
    public synchronized void paint(Graphics g){
    g.setColor(0);
    g.fillRect(0,0,120,120);
    g.setColor(255);
    g.drawString(str, 0,0,0);
    }

``````Other Thread`````

repaintStuff();
    str = "Didnt do it inline."
    Last edited by sam.hendley; 2003-07-02 at 22:38.