Discussion Board

Accessing OVI maps raw data

Hi guys...
    i am working on a GPS tracking application, and i would like to be able to load some maps inside it. Since there is a good chance the user has already downloaded the OVI maps data under e:\cities, do you know if:

1) it is legal for a 3rd application to use that data (locally on the phone, no sharing involved, just display to the user)

2) there are some public specs on the data format used by OVI maps

3) somebody has actually loaded that data and used in a symbian or qt app

Super Contributor

Re: Accessing OVI maps raw data

Nokia has not published any APIs or Nokia/Ovi Maps formats for independent development.

For non-commercial use you could use Google Maps APIs for free. For commercial use, you need to pay Google.

You can also get the map data directly from companies like NAVTEQ (a Nokia subsidiary who also supplies map and navigation data to Nokia) or TeleAtlas.

There are also free and open source map efforts such as http://www.openstreetmap.org/ and http://openmaps.eu/

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yep, I'm rather sure the maps data is copyright protected, so you would need to contact the owner of the data to discuss how it could be used (see the voice package files, they at least identify the party that holds copyrights, so you could contact them). And as those data is not supposed to be used by 3rd party there are no public sprecs on how it could be used.

Easiest way would be propably to go with the Petrib's suggestion.

Thanks, this is what i wanted to know.

Its a pity, because if i have 4gb of maps on the mSD seems a waste to go download more. Its the way it is.