Discussion Board

Website request for Location info from S60 device (Nokia 5800 XPRESS)

Hi - I have a website that returns information based on the location of the browser's device, in this case a Nokia5800 XPRESS Music, but although an ipod, iphone and laptop browser all request use of location, there is no corresponding dialogue on the Nokia5800, whether using the supplied browser, or Opera 10.

I need a checklist of steps to identify just why this isn't happebing, so...
    ...what should the website be doing to make use of the device location services?

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Website request for Location info from S60 device (Nokia 5800 XPRESS)

My first guess is that a web site must understand with which browser is talking about (based on user agent) then make a location info request to it using a standard which that browser supports (if any). If the built-in browser (or Opera) does not support such feature (you should ask about this on the web browsing forum of this board) then there is nothing you can do, other than implement some kind of plug-in to be delivered to all customers which use the same browser.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

OK - by your answer I assume it is given that the api is available to the browser's development team should they choose to use it, and that the api conforms to a standard that a location requesting website might expect to use, and further that that is a question I should forward to (amongst others) a Nokia / Symbian developer who has some responsibility in the area of the browser used for the Symbian implementation on the Nokia 5800 device.

I am doing this as I write - thanks.

You might read the Chief Lucian's answer again, actually he is saying that by default there are no such API. He then continues that it might be possible if you could build a plug-in that would fetch the location. thus you actually would need to get the users also to download and install the plug-in that you would first need to implement in order to get this working.

Also the standard browser on 5800 does not include location capability, thus you would need to build a plug-in, and then also you would need to implement a separate process in which you could use the location APIs for fetchkng teh device location.

Easier way would be of course to make a WRT widget, which with users would connect to your web site, then you could use the platform service APIs for getting the location.

Actually he says if (and I need to ask) then a bit of programming would be required. That said, are you confirming that IS the case?

I have already posted to web browsing for a view on that...

Given currently location is NOT supported, might there be an upcoming release that does support it?

AFAIK there are no public roadmaps that would identify such service coming to default browsers on the device mentioned, thus there is no way on knowing about it.

Anyway, if you wish to look into the possibilities on making a plug-in, you could start searching for different plug-ins that can be used with Web browsers, such as Browser plug-ins for handling content: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.pdf.html

Or with bit more tweaking, you could also try HTTP filters: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._filter_plugin

It is not really a bit of programming that would be required, it is actually pretty good amount, as well as both would require Certified signing due the required capabilities.

Thanks, between you you have covered my query pretty well, :-(, but hey, there's an opportunity for work here... :-)

Bests,

Iain

Do also note what I said about WRT Widgets.. if you would use them, you could get the whole thing done in less than 10 minutes.. Wiki should have examples on them. The symbian C++ plug-in making can be rather hard process..