Discussion Board

Open Source applications in Ovi Store

Hello there. I'm a complete newbie in Nokia developement (this is my first post too), so please forgive me if i'm acting somewhat stupid.
    However, i would like to know the current status of open source developement and the Ovi Store. More specific:
    1) Is it possible to license software with any desired OSS/Free Software license and publish it to Ovi Store?
    2a) If no, i would like to know the restricting barriers (GPL licensed code and dependencies I bet).
    2b) If yes, is it also possible to charge money for such software throug the Ovi Store?

I have read the Ovi Store publisher TOC, but I think it's a bit unclear on Open Source Software though.

Thanks in advance
    Troels

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Open Source applications in Ovi Store

1) Yes, with a few caveats
    2a) You might need to check on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL_linking_exception if you want to publish GPL code and use Nokia's non-GPL compatible libs. If you happen to be developing on Maemo/MeeGo, you cannot have dependencies on packages that are not present in the firmware (you can work around this by bundling/static linking). If you happen to be using GPL, note that you will have to make the source available yourself, Ovi does not provide additional facilities for this.
    2b) Yes, if the license does not say otherwise. For example, with GPL, charging for software is not the problem (see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html ) but you have to make the software source code available.