Discussion Board

Exclamation How to use Self Signed Certificate in Mobile App?

Hi, everyone,

I have developed Self Signed Certificate using openssl.. Now i have implemented this certificate into my local server,,
    And I need private and public keys for implementing encryption and decryption in my app.
    Any body familiar with certificates could tell me that Can i use this certificate for generating private and public keys which will help for encryption and decryption in my mobile Application? Or what i have to do for generating public and private keys?

Thanks in Advance..

Regards
    Thambirajan A.

Super Contributor

Re: How to use Self Signed Certificate in Mobile App?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but if you are setting up something with which you want to sign your MIDlet then I'd advise you to stop right away : you cannot self-sign MIDlets... You will have to use a signing authority which is recognized by the device, and because you cannot add new signing authorities to your device you will have to buy a certificate from one of the pre-installed (and known) authorities...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Thank you for Your Reply,,

My question is, Can I extract private or public keys from my Self Signed SSL certificate?

by
    Thambirajan A,

Super Contributor

From which certificate are we talking about ? From the pre-installed on a device or something else ?
    If you want to extract anything from the pre-instaled ones then I am pretty sure that's not possible with J2ME...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Not pre installid certificate... It is self signed certificate.. I need public and private keys from that certificate..

Thambirajan A

Super Contributor

well you created the certificate so you should have those if i'm not mistaken...
    I don't think that you can "extract" them, or not easily, that would be hacking and obviously if that would be easy then signing would have no sense at all...

Thanks for your reply,,

Actually in java we can extract the private key from "something.der" (certificate) file and then we can generate corresponding public key.
    This is the reference link for doing so in java "http://www.junkheap.net/content/public_key_encryption_java "..... But in J2ME the required libraries are not available..
    So, if anyone know the way of doing that pls tell me..

Regards,
    Thambirajan. A

Thambirajan, after doing that stuff, what do you want to be encrypted? The JAR, a HTTP connection, your RecordStore?

Actually, i wanna my record store to be encrypted using those private and public keys..

Rather useless because the private key is within your MIDlet which can be extracted, or?