Discussion Board

Super Contributor

QtOpenGL changes between Ubuntu Linux 4.6.3 and Qt 4.7.1 support warrning

Hi,
    After a lot of work I have discovered that the Linux version 4.6.3 Open GL support the early OpenGL 1.3
    The Symbian ^3 supports OpenGL ES 2.0.
    This means that examples which work based on the Book example Chapter 20 Tetrahedron. Work under
    Ubuntu Linux but not under Qt 4.7.1 Symbian ^3.
    This is because in OpenGL ES 1.0 to 2.0 the functions glBegin.. glEnd were removed under the standard because embedded devices do not have an FPU.
    This means you like me think that the Qt OpenGL ES 2.0 for Qt 4.7.1 and Symbian ^3 has a problem.

This works correctly it just your source code is to old and needs porting to Open GL 2.0
    I will not explain how to do this because the is outside the scope of the discussion board.

If you run examples of OpenGL be sure they are written for OpenGL ES 2.0 or they will fail sometimes in strange ways. Remember the emulator or simulator does not support OpenGL (any version)

Thanks,
    Jim

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: QtOpenGL changes between Ubuntu Linux 4.6.3 and Qt 4.7.1 support warrning

Qt supports whatever OpenGL on that particular platform is available (depends on compile time switches), so do not check for Qt versions, check for OpenGL #define-s to determine what is available on a particular platform.

Super Contributor

Re: QtOpenGL changes between Ubuntu Linux 4.6.3 and Qt 4.7.1 support warrning

Quote Originally Posted by achipa View Post
    Qt supports whatever OpenGL on that particular platform is available (depends on compile time switches), so do not check for Qt versions, check for OpenGL #define-s to determine what is available on a particular platform.
    Hi,
    That is very interesting because to get the OpenGL working I needed to compile with the -DQT_OPENGL_ES2,
    but I was getting errors where the src\opengl code was not reading in the <GLES2\GLES2.h> and I have
    had to add extra #ifndef SYMBIAN conditional to load this header file from the Symbian ^3.

Bascially Jack Torrence, Qt in another discussion thread has suggested to keep testing the qt-developer/qt (4.7.1) and report problems compiling programs but not to try and run them on the phone (N8) until Qt team will release Qt sis libs for the N8

This was somewhat embarrassing to report as a bug only to find the OpenGL ES 2.0 standard defines this functionality in the downloaded standards document.
    Thanks
    Jim
    PS maybe this title is somewhat confusing sorry for that