Discussion Board

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Re: About Launchpad, Developer account registration never gets processed!

Does anyone know roughly how far through the applications the reviewer has gotten? I'm still waiting for a yes/no email. I appreciate there have been a large volume of applications recently but surely a large portion of these should have been processed by now?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyp666 View Post
    Does anyone know roughly how far through the applications the reviewer has gotten? I'm still waiting for a yes/no email. I appreciate there have been a large volume of applications recently but surely a large portion of these should have been processed by now?
    I don't think any individual applications have been touched yet. Only Business ones. After someone leaked the news that we would give out an E7 and WP7 devices to those current LP and Pro members there were over two thousand people that wanted the device. We normally get 5 or 6 applications a week.

By the way, no one that submitted after the 18th will get either devices.

Ron

Thanks for the reply Ron. While I admit that I applied on the 18th, the devices were not my reason for applying so not getting one doesn't bother me (plus I already own an N8 & a HTC HD7). I applied because I only realised the launchpad membership had become free when I read the leaked email. Do you have any idea when the reviews will start for individual applications?

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    I don't think any individual applications have been touched yet. Only Business ones. After someone leaked the news that we would give out an E7 and WP7 devices to those current LP and Pro members there were over two thousand people that wanted the device. We normally get 5 or 6 applications a week.

Ron
    Why are individual applications being pushed down the queue? At this rate, individual applications will never get processed if business applications keeps coming in. I understand you giving priority to business applications, but you can't ignore individual applications all together. You need to device some scheme where both queues will be processed.

It seems that data that I entered into application form will be pretty outdated in the time of processing my application form (I'll not have 1 000 000 downloads but maybe 1 500 000, I'll probably release more apps then I entered in February, etc.).

I'm thinking whether it makes sense to process stats eg. half of the year old. In so dynamic industry (as mobile apps are) couple of months is really long time.

Tom

Cool Re: About Launchpad, Developer account registration never gets processed!

Quote Originally Posted by cjlim View Post
    Why are individual applications being pushed down the queue? At this rate, individual applications will never get processed if business applications keeps coming in. I understand you giving priority to business applications, but you can't ignore individual applications all together. You need to device some scheme where both queues will be processed.
    HE HE Old school Round robin Process scheduling algorithm could be used!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post

Hmm... whoever had the idea to write an email announcing the distribution of free devices propably either strongly believes in the discretion of the LP members or just knew his marketing. no offence meant

Kalle

Quote Originally Posted by Ariantes View Post
    Hmm... whoever had the idea to write an email announcing the distribution of free devices propably either strongly believes in the discretion of the LP members or just knew his marketing. no offence meant

Kalle
    I believe that whoever wrote the email was expecting the recipients to abide by the Developers Non-Disclosure Agreement where section 1 states "Either party who receives Information ("Receiving Party") shall keep all Information received from the other party ("Disclosing Party") in whatever form as strictly confidential and shall not disclose it to third parties without the prior written permission of the Disclosing Party."

On a seperate note. I'd like the thank the FN Team for the email i received this afternoon regarding Launchpad Applications. I appreciate the update.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyp666 View Post
    I believe that whoever wrote the email was expecting the recipients to abide by the Developers Non-Disclosure Agreement where section 1 states "Either party who receives Information ("Receiving Party") shall keep all Information received from the other party ("Disclosing Party") in whatever form as strictly confidential and shall not disclose it to third parties without the prior written permission of the Disclosing Party."
    I'm aware of the NDA's wording, it just surprises me that no one saw this coming.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    my site was one of many who ran the story - I thought I would do the company good by getting it press.

However, I am more than willing to delete the posts.

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Champion

Guys I receive an email from FN LP program that cause of huge number of application it is taking time, I believe we developers will also get the opportunity of LP program.

It was always bound to happen due to the wording of the announcement email but it is a shame that the email was publicised without the obvious statement that it was only applicable to existing members.

On the whole the publicity did not attract new developers as much as a swarm of non-developers who were not forewarned they would never be eligible. So in fact this whole thing has negatively affected actual developers Launchpad requests and the poor staff trying to keep up with the applications.

It does make me wonder though if maybe, for the purpose of developers like myself from smaller companies without the budget to afford the state of the art mobiles to test our software on, if perhaps 'developer handsets' might be a possibility in the future - with just the functionality/hardware required for applications development at a more reasonable cost. I know that's not the way things work, but it would be a nice idea

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Twooga View Post
    It was always bound to happen due to the wording of the announcement but it is a shame that the email was publicised without the obvious statement that it was only applicable to existing members.
    There was no announcement. FN sent a mail to the members of developer programs. It was not even the usual mass-mailing with BCC, everybody received it having his/her own e-mail address in the header and no other addresses.
    So in fact this whole thing has negatively affected actual developers Launchpad requests and the poor staff trying to keep up with the applications.
    Yes, that is unfortunate. Hopefully it does not disrupt too much the work of real developers. While the delay is certainly annoying, majority of offerings in FNL do not fall into the "extremely urgent, I can not do anything until I get it" category.
    It does make me wonder though if maybe, for the purpose of developers like myself from smaller companies without the budget to afford the state of the art mobiles to test our software on, if perhaps 'developer handsets' might be a possibility in the future - with just the functionality/hardware required for applications development at a more reasonable cost. I know that's not the way things work, but it would be a nice idea
    There is a 'mini loan' service, just I do not know if it is part of FNL or not. It is about getting a device for 4-6 weeks (depending where you live). The only cost arises when you send it back by post.
    The completely free approach is RDA. It is open to everyone, no membership in any developer program is required.
    Although there are things like BeagleBoard (http://beagleboard.org/), generally it is hard to specify a hardware which is both cheap, and is able to support any hardware configuration. Getting firmwares is also problematic. Generally it is more useful to those who build mobile phones than to those who write software for them.

@twooga Hmm dont know abt existing members part.
    Nokia ron did say that only developers who have submitted After the 18th will not be applicable.
    and hey come on if you are selected at least you can actually take part in the nokia developer days and not watch it on a monitor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    There is a 'mini loan' service, just I do not know if it is part of FNL or not. It is about getting a device for 4-6 weeks (depending where you live). The only cost arises when you send it back by post.
    The completely free approach is RDA. It is open to everyone, no membership in any developer program is required.
    Although there are things like BeagleBoard (http://beagleboard.org/), generally it is hard to specify a hardware which is both cheap, and is able to support any hardware configuration. Getting firmwares is also problematic. Generally it is more useful to those who build mobile phones than to those who write software for them.
    That is interesting to know as I wasn't aware of that, thank you for the tip. I might have to do a bit more research now.