Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Error while building for ARMV5

Hello list,

I am facing an error while builiding my app for ARMV5 on Carbide C++ v2.3. From the console log, the cause of the error appears to be the .cpp file name specified by the make process to generate the .o files, which does not match if a case-sensitive search were to be performed.

To explain this more clearly, first of all this is the error message printed on the console:

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group\ target armv5 udeb
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group\ARMV5.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group -f "ICONS_SCALABLE_DC.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\ICONS_SCALABLE_DC\ARMV5 TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group PLATFORM=ARMV5 CFG=UDEB BLD
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\HELP -f "BUILD_HELP.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\BUILD_HELP\ARMV5 TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group PLATFORM=ARMV5 CFG=UDEB BLD
    make -j 4 -s -r -f
    make -j 4 -s -r -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group\CARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2\ARMV5\CARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2.ARMV5" UDEB
    cardgameguiappver2application.cpp
    cardgameguiappver2.cpp
    cardgameguiappver2appview.cpp
    cardgameguiappver2appui.cpp

process_begin: CreateProcess((null), armcc -g -O0 --diag_suppress 66,161,611,654,997,1152,1300,1464,1488,6318,6331 --diag_error 1267 --thumb --fpu softvfp --exceptions --exceptions_unwind -D__MARM_THUMB__ -D__MARM_INTERWORK__ --cpu 5T --enum_is_int -Ono_known_library --fpmode ieee_no_fenv --export_all_vtbl --no_vfe --apcs /inter --dllimport_runtime -c --md -D_DEBUG -D_UNICODE -D__SYMBIAN32__ -D__S60_50__ -D__S60_3X__ -D__SERIES60_3X__ -D__ARMCC__ -D__EPOC32__ -D__MARM__ -D__EABI__ -D__ARMCC_0__ -D__ARMCC_0_0__ -D__MARM_ARMV5__ -D__EXE__ -D__SUPPORT_CPP_EXCEPTIONS__ -D__PRODUCT_INCLUDE__=\"\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\include\variant\Symbian_OS.hrh\" --cpp --preinclude \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\include\RVCT0_0\RVCT0_0.h -J \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\src -J \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\inc -J \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\help -J \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\include -J \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\include\libc -J \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\include\variant -o \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group\CARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2\ARMV5\udeb\CardGameGUIAppVer2Application.o \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\src\cardgameguiappver2application.cpp, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

I have highlighted the list of source files printed at the beginning. Now the error log says that the specified file cannot be found.

From the log the makefile path is as follows
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group\ARMV5.make
    In this makefile I see the following lines:
    MAKEFILECARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2_FILES= \
    "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group\CARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2\ARMV5\CARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2.ARMV5"

MAKEFILECARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2 :
    perl -S makmake.pl $(NO_DEPENDENCIES) -D \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\group\CARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2 ARMV5 $(ABLD_FLAGS) $(ABLD_COMPWRAP_FLAG)

In the CARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2.ARMV5 file mentioned for MAKEFILECARDGAMEGUIAPPVER2_FILES, I see the following entries:
    $(EPOCBLDUDEB)\CardGameGUIAppVer2Application.o: \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\CardGameGUIAppVer2\src\cardgameguiappver2application.cpp
    @echo cardgameguiappver2application.cpp

The above path refers to the src directory in my project.
    In my project, which has been created by the Emulator as per the default for a UI application, these are the files in the src directory:
    CardGameGUIAppVer2.cpp
    CardGameGUIAppVer2Application.cpp
    CardGameGUIAppVer2AppUi.cpp
    CardGameGUIAppVer2AppView.cpp
    CardGameGUIAppVer2Document.cpp

Apparently there is a case mismatch for the filename mentioned in the generted makefile for ARMV5. And this causes a build failure.
    I am not sure how this could be the case, as I have not modified any files. All I have done is to build the project from the emulator for ARMV5 configuration.
    This error is generated only for ARMV5 configuration build. I was able to successfully build and generate the .sis file for the GCCE configuration build, from the same workspace.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    TIA
    Vin

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Error while building for ARMV5

ARMV5 uses RVCT (RealView Compiler Toolkit), a product you would have to buy from ARM.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Error while building for ARMV5

Also hope you are aware that gcce build can be also be used for testing on device