Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Qt Creator update deletes QT Creator

Today Qt Creator told that updates are available. After downloading the updates (took about two hours, great, as I'm on a 200mbit connection) the updater crashed. I tried to install the updates two more times but failed since the installer always crashed.

Much to my "amusement", instead of performing a rollback like any modern installer, the updater deleted the Qt Creator. Currently I don't have - for example - qtcreator.exe.

Shouldn't Nokia try to attract developers instead of trying to get rid of them? Too bad there already exists an Android version of the application which I am coding on Symbian. Otherwise I'd be switching platforms.

PS. Also installed a new version of OVI Suite today. The update required a reboot, after which I noticed that I now have THREE VERSIONS of OVI Suite installed. Great stuff!

Super Contributor

Re: Qt Creator update deletes QT Creator

Quote Originally Posted by arttu76 View Post
    Today Qt Creator told that updates are available. After downloading the updates (took about two hours, great, as I'm on a 200mbit connection) the updater crashed. I tried to install the updates two more times but failed since the installer always crashed.
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear that. The main problem is the online version does not work properly and I suspect you have found another bug in the online version. Which online base version did you have 1.0.0 by chance?.

The offline version works much better http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...a_Qt_SDK.html# and select the offline version.

With the well known problems I dont know why they dont pull this until its fixed.
    Basically to get 1.0.0 the sdk updater is deleted and replaced by a new version in the online version this removes and reloads. If the net crashes at critical point i.e. after the files have been deleted.
    The best way would be to load the files into a pool and only delete when the updates are validated as downloaded.

Sorry but you just have to download the offline version.
    Thanks
    Jim

First of all, thank you for your friendly reply.

I uninstalled the remains of the wreck (which was quite a job in itself as I had to press "Ignore" button to about 100 "File is missing"-alert windows) and re-downloaded the installation package. Installation went smoothly and I can again use Qt Creator.

The version which I now have is "Qt Creator 2.0.1 Built on Sep 9 2010 at 14:27:59".

Super Contributor

First of all, thank you for your friendly reply.

I uninstalled the remains of the wreck (which was quite a job in itself as I had to press "Ignore" button to about 100 "File is missing"-alert windows) and re-downloaded the installation package. Installation went smoothly and I can again use Qt Creator.

The version which I now have is "Qt Creator 2.0.1 Built on Sep 9 2010 at 14:27:59".
    Good, You now have version 1.0.1 This offline version will update properly from the Windows startbar and leave a working Nokia Qt SDK
    Thanks,
    Jim

Nokia Developer Champion

PS. Also installed a new version of OVI Suite today. The update required a reboot, after which I noticed that I now have THREE VERSIONS of OVI Suite installed. Great stuff!
    Yeah, that's clearly a bug. It's supposed to leave you with five versions.

I have only ever had the offline version (1.0.0) and it has had the same problem with every update.... I have a sketchy internet connection as I live in a rural area and downloading more then 500mb without the net crashing would be a miracle let alone over a gig... lol
    Perhaps I will try to download the latest offline version for better updating reliability....
    In the past the update tool would delete itself so you couldn't even uninstall it, I filed a bug report but I see it still needs work...
    Great stuff!

Cheers,
    Jon

Same problems. Update not only killed my Nokia Qt SDK, but now I can't reinstall it!

I've uninstalled SDK leftovers and downloaded new Nokia Qt SDK online 1.0.1. Installation fails for MADDE (and I need it). I've tried it twice.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel.Rusin View Post
    Same problems. Update not only killed my Nokia Qt SDK, but now I can't reinstall it!

I've uninstalled SDK leftovers and downloaded new Nokia Qt SDK online 1.0.1. Installation fails for MADDE (and I need it). I've tried it twice.
    This information is not sufficient for identifying a problem and finding a solution.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel.Rusin View Post

Hi,
    Two things you need to delete the whole area c:\NokiaQtSDK\*.* then load offline version.
    If you cannot download. Then install firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html.
    The download manger of firefox will restart if connection breaks unlike MS IE
    This will allow you to download the offline version http://sw.nokia.com/id/8bfd1143-041b..._v1_0_1_en.exe even if the connection stops.
    The download will restart at the right point even if the PC is shut down, like power failure.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2010-10-15 at 20:50. Reason: add link

Please create bug reports whenever you see issues with the downloads or the installation process. We are using a distributed network of servers caching our content so it would be very important that the bug reports contain info such as your location and maybe even ISP. Install logs would help as well.

For what is worth I faced the same problem on a 64b Win7 machine, and I did report the issue to the SDK team. The problem does indeed appear to be in the MADDE installation. On thing I did not report (yet) was the download speed on my last upgrade attempt, which was indeed extremely slow.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    For what is worth I faced the same problem on a 64b Win7 machine,
    Same flavor of machine and result here.
    I spent last night downloading the Qt SDK 1.0.1 offline version (based on jimgilmour1's comments below) and installed it no problem. This morning I started the update tool before leaving for work, when I returned there were hash errors during the DL of MADDE and now Qt creator is gone. I had the same issue with the original version and I made a bug report then, since the same bug still exists should I bother to make another bug report? I live in Ontario Canada and my internet connection is atrocious!

Cheers,
    Jon
    EDIT:
    I should add that I have always been able to uninstall the failed version by reinstalling the the SDK over itself and then running a complete uninstall before installing fresh...
    Last edited by Jon Heron; 2010-10-20 at 01:56. Reason: Missed point>

Hi Jon,

for now my appraoch was to install the offline package only, then use the package manager to fetch some missing components (including Smart Installer) but without attempting to install the updates. Although updating should work for all but the MADDE component.

I would still create a but report, with logs and all, or re-open the old one.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

OK, I will file a bug when I get home later this afternoon.
    I tried installing just the Symbian SDK and mobility update last night and it seemed to complete. However the lousy update tool locked up after it appeared to have completed and I then needed the task manager to terminate it.
    Everything seemed to work fine until I tried to deploy an app and discovered the smartinstaller.sis was missing. I simply downloaded the version 1.0 and stuck it in NokiaQtSDK->Symbian->SDK directory and all seems well. I was able to build and deploy my app with the smart installer wrapper and run it on an N8 over the RDA.

Where do I find the install/update logs?

Cheers,
    Jon

Regular Contributor

Well it looks like I have also fallen into the update trap. Downloaded the update from QtCreator, updated finished successfully, however after I restarted the computer QtCreator.exe has vanished. Very annoying to say the least and now I'm waiting of the offline installer to download.

Is it worth me creating a bug report? And if so, where do I do that?