Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

App does not work the same on device

Hello list,

After transferring my app to the device, I see that certain functionality of the app does not work the same as it does on the emulator. I have built the app for Phone Debug (GCCE) [S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0]. the difference that I see is that there are multiple menu options presented by the app. Two of the options just print a text message on to the console, and these two options work equally well on the phone as on the emulator. The third option displays an image on to the console on the emulator. On the phone, when I select the third option, the application quits. The image file is part of the .mbm file built as part of the application.

I also wanted to mention that when I tried to install the application on the phone, I got a warning message saying that this app was meant for development only and that installing on the device may cause serious issues on the device. I ignored it and went ahead with the installation.

I am stuck and would look forward to help from the forum to tide over this issue.

TIA
    vin

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: App does not work the same on device

check the panic code first: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code, then you might want to check the code part that gives the panic.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    check the panic code first: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code, then you might want to check the code part that gives the panic.
    I do not get any panic on the device when I run the app and select the option which should display the image. Rather the app silently quits without doing anything. But as I mentioned before, the same app displays an image from the .mbm file on the emulator, when the particular option is selected. Is there a way I can debug this on the phone?

TIA
    Vin

Nothing ever just silently quits, thus do check the panic code. If other ways fail, do try the Y-Tasks::Crash monitor, it always gets all process exit codes.

Regular Contributor

I guess even though there is some sort of panic, it is not displayed to the console. I was looking at the link below:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

And from the link:
    On the device, you should create a zero-sized file ErrRd (no file name extension) under the directory c:\resource\. You can use a file explorer application (for instance, YBrowser) to create the file, or if none is available, deploy the file through a SIS file.

I installed YBrowser to the device, but when I try to create a file inside the Resource Folder, it only gives me the option to create a .zip file.
    I would appreciate some tips on how to create the ErrRd file using the other method mentioned above, viz., to deploy the ErrRd file through a SIS file.

TIA,
    Vin

Try the Y-Tasks !! or find a zero size file, copy it to to specified folder, and re-name it.

Regular Contributor

Try the Y-Tasks !! or find a zero size file, copy it to to specified folder, and re-name it.
    I did install the ErrRd on the device and now I see that the application quits because of a KERN EXEC-3 Panic.
    I am running the same build for the Emulator and it works fine. It is the same source code base.
    My guess is that the issue is caused due to some failure in loading the image.
    I am not sure how I could debug this on the phone. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

TIA
    Vin

there is TRK, or you could just add file logging.

Regular Contributor

there is TRK, or you could just add file logging.
    Thanks. I am not sure what TRK implies? is this some utility like Y-Tasks? Is there some link related to this?
    Also, I would appreciate some tips on how I could enable file logging?

TIA
    Vin

TRK is "The Application TRK SIS file used for debugging applications by third party developers".

Regular Contributor

TRK is "The Application TRK SIS file used for debugging applications by third party developers".
    Is there some link from where I could download this SIS file for N96? Also, how can I enable file logging on the device?

Regular Contributor

I posted this to the Carbide C++ discussion board. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...connect-to-TRK

Note that you could always use file logging, it is easy and rather fast way on getting ideas on what is going wrong with any specific part of a code.

Regular Contributor

Note that you could always use file logging, it is easy and rather fast way on getting ideas on what is going wrong with any specific part of a code.
    I am more than willing to explore that. Only I need some information about how to enable file logging. Please provide a link or some suggestions.

TIA
    Vin