Discussion Board

QTextEdit and Symbian

Hi,

I’m building a QT application for Symbian, and one major problem i’m having is with QTextEdit, when i run it on my development device (a Nokia 5800 with v51 firmware and Portuguese language) it doesn’t seem to accept input (none of the keys causes any output) from the full qwerty virtual keyboard or the mini qwerty keyboard, the only input accepted is from the T9 virtual keyboard.

I kept all the default widget attributes, but i found there is a “inputMethodHints” attribute, do i need to change this attribute for the qwerty keyboard to work?

Also strange is that QLineEdit seems to work with the referred input methods, but in this case the backspace key doesn’t delete the previous character.
    P.S. I’m running on QT 4.7 but the same problem occurs with 4.6.

I also tried an example app for QT Symbian (FriendFeed) and it has the same problem with a QTextEdit.

This is very bad because my app needs a widget for multi-line text input.

Is this something related to my phone? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you for your time.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: QTextEdit and Symbian

I'll be interested to hear if there are any good answers to your questions. Data input is a big problem for Qt/Symbian.

Hi,

For the record this problem doesn't occur in QT 4.6.3 as i said earlier. It only happens in QT 4.7.

This kind of solves my problem since the current recomended QT version is indeed 4.6.3, and the only version supported by "smart installer".

One thing that bugs me is that, the link to download the Symbian QT 4.6.3 SDK disapeared from the QT site. (i found it through this link "http://download.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/")

Regular Contributor

Hi,

This sounds a lot like the input method regression bug as reported in http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-13998 - does the orientation of the device affect it somehow? If not, then this could be a separate issue, in which case I'd encourage you to write a minimal application that the problem can be reproduced with and submit a new bug report.

@treinio

Thanks, i'll do that.

Hugo.