Discussion Board

N900 or wait for Mythical N9 ?

Hi there, first post,

Im currently using a Palm Pre and while i wont slate it, beacuse it has its definite benifits, im looking to upgrade to a proper linux based phone/mid device.

Terminal usage (a big must for me) on the Pre is minimal and if i have to ssh into another machine to run my old faves then i can do that on any mobile even WinMo (spits).

im definetly getting one or the other . .

So the question is:

Do i got for an n900 now?
    - It is a little bit chunky
    - meego is probably going to steal all the dev's away, even with QT im thinking it might be a bit late to adopt an n900
    - 24 month contract @ £35 (UK£) pm upgrade deal.... kinda long, but nessisary for unlimited internet...
    (currently paying 45 a month on an ungodly o2 contract that ends on the 4th Nov...dont ask)

Or do i await the mythical n9?
    - Its sooo much thinner, sexy looking if i dare got hat far.
    - But id be an early adopter . . . and that doesnt always work out.
    - No idea when its actually going to land and im getting the feeling it wont be released at the meego expo.
    - Contract Price may well be heftier than the n900 ...

Thoughts from real n900 users please (not interested in going the symbian/phone7 route before anyone asks)
    (can i run vm's of meego and maemo to have a play?)

feel free to point me somewhere else if this is the wrong place to be asking

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: N900 or wait for Mythical N9 ?

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

thanks for the advice, discussion.nokia.forum.com didnt sound development specific but the bars at the top are a clue.
    I reposted it on the suggested forum but my thread was deleted ...as far as i can tell ... no pm came about it but its not there anymore so ... ho hum

Any other forum suggestions for n900/upcoming device related talk? I dont want to make a pain of myself.

Nokia Developer Expert

I would doubt that it was deleted, I would not see any point on deletion that kind of question. Anyway, as there are no announcements of the magical N9 there are no ways that anybody who knows anything on any nokia upcoming devices would be commenting it. As far as know there is no device called N9, nor any public statements that there would be one coming.

Thus, the rules on that forum are stricter than in here (at least speculations are allowed here), you could maybe re-word the text in a way that it would realy only on officially available device/platform names etc.

I'm waiting for N9. , the no-official specs looks good.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-3398.php
    main differentiator for me is n9-s better keyboard.