Discussion Board

NFC Project - Need Help, Few Basic Questions

First of all, thanks in advance to contributing member for any time they could spare me and (I would really appreciate it if you could Type in the Question number to which you provide the answer / correction to.

I'm in an academic internship and I have to suggest some implementation for an NFC payment solution. I have been reading the basics through white papers. I have some basic questions regarding some harder to find info.

Q1. Should the a user be allowed to touch & pay if the location they're on is outside of GSM Range? If not or if you save the data and transmit it later, is that the work of the application provider (Phone Midlets) or do the MasterCard payWave and Visa VSDC already take care of that particular situation?

Q2. Since payment is done in the secure Card Emulation mode, I assume the Reader/Terminal is the one who send the payment data through GSM? (correct me if wrong)

Q3. Is it possible to exchange some sort of data (simpe string tbh) from the phone to the reader when they touch BEFORE paying? I would like to have a unique code that identifies the purchase id of which the user is about to the payment, therefore being able to identify it and make the content downloadable after that.

That is all for now, I have just one or two more questions but don't wish to bother you too much as of now. Thanks in advance for any input.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: NFC Project - Need Help, Few Basic Questions

Heya!

1: If you're talking about EMV payments (i.e. the regular touch&pay), then there is no need for GSM connectivity for the phone as long as it just emulates a card. The payment reader handles all communications.

2: Correct.

3: If the EMV specs allow that, then yes, but I doubt it. In general payment companies are kinda annoyed if you start modifying their protocols or readers :-)

If you happen to have a reader which you *can* modify, then it might be possible to make the phone push a string (e.g. using LLCP or NFCIP-1), then reset the communication to switch to card emulation.

You could in theory also eavesdrop on the communication with a second antenna and grab the UID of the phone (but that might not be constant); or just make a hash of the transaction bitstream to create an unique transaction ID.

Your best bet might be to talk to different companies which specialize in EMV payments.