Discussion Board

Challenge to Nokia: Make it easy to submit!

Hi
    I must tell you that this was going to be a rant post, however this is not the way to get something done.
    ( I have however thrown my nokia phone out the window at how frustrating the process of submitting to the ovi store is. ) Not because its complicated but because it is so complicatedly documented.

I have a qt app that I developed which is a cross port of my android applciation. Posting the Android app took me 10 minutes.

So far 10 days later, I have stilll not got it sorted. on the ovi store. The App is not complex, its just a simple game that shows pictures.

I have built a Sis file built from qt creator, I have got my uids from nokia with the dev cert and I have a nokia account with Ovi store which I have got everything except my sis file to submit.
    Is that enough? please can someone help with this.

- I challenge someone at Nokia to give me a single page document with the process to submit, because if I wouldn't have spent so much time making it, I would have thrown it in the bin.

Billy

Re: Challenge to Nokia: Make it easy to submit!

I'm struggling myself with similar problems and I support what you said. Instructions that helped me the most were: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ov.../qt-content-qa

It seems that selecting the type of signing when editing content item is also important. I first selected Express Signed and after Ovi Publish published my app I noticed that they didn't repackage the sis file. It was uploaded with my developer certificate and nobody could install it but me. The item is currently pending (Ovi Publush support said that I have to set the signing to None) and I hope this is the final time.

I have been publishing my app for 2 months (the development took me 1 month easy). Every change takes a week to get an answer from QA and another week to figure out what to do. So Nokia, please make it easier on us.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Billy,

Since Nokia gives you the choice to develop with many different tools such as Qt, Web Runtime, Symbian C++, Open C, Java, and Flash Lite, it does make application packaging guidelines more complicated. We are working on improving documentation for developers.

In addition to the "Qt Content Q&A" mentioned by d0m3n you may also find "How to Package Qt and Symbian Applications for Signing by Nokia" helpful.
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ov...d-symbian-apps

In some way we shoud be happy that the process is not too easy... Look at android market, there are many aplications that shouldn't been published... There are hudreds of thousands apps in Apples store... If you have a nice app or game and you believe in it, you will find all necessary info online. I would not mind if Nokia made the publishing process even more complicated, it would add a few days to the learning process, but simultaniously it would screen out thousands of variations of regular jigsaw puzzles, especially now when Nokia is providing the whole package for free!

Super Contributor

Hi,
    you have to wait as QA is overloaded atm.

If you want to sign tzhe file yourself, I have instructions here:
    http://tamss60.tamoggemon.com/2010/0...ficial-how-to/
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog