Discussion Board

No rule to make target aknnotify.dso

Hello,
    I'm trying to add soft notifications to my app and found the code below to do so.

Code:
    CAknPopupNotify *notify = CAknPopupNotify::NewL();

if (notify){
      const TText *text = _S("Timer completed!");
      TPtrC message(text);

notify->PopupMessageL(message);

delete notify;
    }
    However, whenever I try to compile it, I get the following linker error:

:: error: No rule to make target `\Nuron\NokiaQtSDK\Symbian\SDK\epoc32\release\armv5\LIB\aknnotify.dso', needed by `\Nuron\NokiaQtSDK\Symbian\SDK\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\Timer.exe'. Stop.

I've searched for this error message and the file specifically on Google and I can't figure out what this error means or what to do about it. Can someone help?

Thank you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: No rule to make target aknnotify.dso

Qt SDK does not contain too Symbian-dependent things, you may have to download an actual S60 SDK for that.

Sorry, I should have specified. I downloaded the Nokia SDK and IDE. I've been able to compile and run other programs for my Nokia. I'm only having trouble compiling this one.

Both the aknnotify.lib file and the aknnotify.dso files are present at the path specified in the error. If you still think I need to download an S60 SDK could you specify which and where I can download it?

Thank you.

No, if the file actually exists, you need no other SDK. How is this file references in your project (with full path, with filename? something else?)?

This is the only reference in my project. It's from the .pro file that Qt Creator uses.

symbian {
    TARGET.UID3 = 0xec84d2c3
    # TARGET.CAPABILITY +=
    TARGET.EPOCSTACKSIZE = 0x14000
    TARGET.EPOCHEAPSIZE = 0x020000 0x800000
    LIBS += -lhwrmvibraclient -laknnotify -leiksrv
    }

The -laknnotify specifically is what connects my program to the aknnotiy.lib/.dso files.

Unfortunately I have no idea, it seems to be fine.

You are presumably using the Nokia Qt SDK because you want to use Qt, and as such you should really avoid making calls to Avkon when not absolutely necessary. How about using QMessageBox?
    Nokia Qt SDK has some Symbian libraries so that you can call OS specific functionality, but not much of the deprecated Avkon framework which Qt is intended to replace. As you can see below, there is no trace of the library you seek (unless you have added content to the SDK):

Code:
    c:\NokiaQtSDK\Symbian\SDK\epoc32\release\armv5\lib>dir /b akn*.*
    aknicon.dso
    aknicon.lib
    aknicon{000a0000}.dso
    aknicon{000a0000}.lib
    akninputlanguage.lib
    aknskins.dso
    aknskins.lib
    aknskinsrv.dso
    aknskinsrv.lib
    aknskinsrv{000a0000}.dso
    aknskinsrv{000a0000}.lib
    aknskins{000a0000}.dso
    aknskins{000a0000}.lib
    If you want to add more libraries to the SDK (NOT RECOMMENDED) you can take them from the S60 5th Edition SDK. But please note that once you have done so, there should no longer exist any presumption that the applications built with the Nokia Qt SDK are compatible with S60 3.x devices. The resulting app may work on those devices, but thorough testing is needed before making such claim.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks Itomuta,
    I'm not partial to either and I'm only developing for my own phone specifically. I've only downloaded the Nokia SDK and haven't added anything to it, nevertheless, the aknnotify.lib/.dso files are present.

I'm not using Qt because, as far as I can tell, Qt doesn't do what I want. Please see thread: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...163#post788163

And important as the information you've provided is, it's not actually a response to my question.

wizard_hu,
    When you say it seems to be fine, do you mean that what I pasted from the .pro files looks correct or that you are able to compile it correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by sarashinai View Post
    When you say it seems to be fine, do you mean that what I pasted from the .pro files looks correct or that you are able to compile it correctly?
    The LIBS line in the .pro seemed to be fine, especially since it refers to other libraries with the same syntax. So if aknnotify.dso exists, there is no reason for not finding it. But that remark is strictly about how the LIBS line in the post looks like, I have not tried it.