Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian^3 SDK final release: WHEN?

Hi All

Anyone knows when the offcial SDK for Symbian^3 will be revealed? The first device (N8) is out but still no SDK for it. As I see it still beta 0.9 for download only.

In documentation it says that (theoretically?) I can run my 5th edition application on Symb^3 device without any problems. I have quite large project written for 5th edition devices which is using a lot of APIs including also 5th ed. plugin-in pack 1.1 APIs. Is there guarantee that all libraries from plug-in packs are also present on Symbian^3 device(s) and no change in code required?

Off-topic: when I try to search in this forum for "Symbian^3" it gives me exact same search results as for "Symbian". It is hard to look for topics specifically related to Symbian^3 :-(

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian^3 SDK final release: WHEN?

As plugin packs explicitly state that they are not even guaranteed to work with all devices with the given platform version, obviously there is no such guarantee for other platform versions either.

Nokia Developer Expert

loads of the base stuff are same with Symbian^3. Also if we would have a dedicated forum for Symbian^3, we should have had dedicated ones for Series 80, Series 90, S60 1st edition, S60 2nd edition, S60 3rd edition & S60 5th edition as well. So not predicting us having a dedicated Symbian^3 forum any day soon.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    loads of the base stuff are same with Symbian^3. Also if we would have a dedicated forum for Symbian^3, we should have had dedicated ones for Series 80, Series 90, S60 1st edition, S60 2nd edition, S60 3rd edition & S60 5th edition as well. So not predicting us having a dedicated Symbian^3 forum any day soon.
    I am not talking about dedicated forum for Symbian^3. Just try to mention that search functionality not works so well. It cannot recognize "^3" and performing search for "Symbian" which is pretty useless when it is "Symbian" related forum ;-)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    As plugin packs explicitly state that they are not even guaranteed to work with all devices with the given platform version, obviously there is no such guarantee for other platform versions either.
    suprisingly so far all plugins I ever used worked well with OS version they are declared.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by developer 123 View Post
    suprisingly so far all plugins I ever used worked well with OS version they are declared.
    Yes, that is their purpose. But still, it is not guaranteed. Just read the beginning (especially the second paragraph) and the end (the FAQ, especially the last one) on the plugin page.