Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

A partial overview of Ovi Store at 6:30 GMT 30/10/10 browsing it from computer

Recommended apps:

There is 30 recommended apps right now of which I cannot tell much. 29 are free and one costs £1. Between the apps is Opera browser which I like very much. The one that costs £1, "Mobi Screen Protectors!" has 7 negative (one star) reviews out of 15.

Checking the "Utilities" section and clicking on Best sellers, shows again the app "Mobi Screen protectors!" (mentioned before).

In the other categories (as Business, City guides & maps, Music etc.) the message that appears after clicking on best sellers is "There are no paid items available for this category". The exception is Entertainment that shows the app "Ting!".

In specific, the message quoted previously appears for the sport category. I myself went through some few pages in this category and found some paid items.

Kindest regards,

Carlos Jaimes,

(author of CountDa !).

Super Contributor

Re: A partial overview of Ovi Store at 6:30 GMT 30/10/10 browsing it from computer

Hi Carlos,
    thank you so much for talking back. As the inofficial PublishtoOvi triage man, I have to apologize but it looks like you just sent us STATEMENT.

Please also post here what you want Nokia to change - as it is not, the statement if nice and thankful but does not help anyone!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Re: A partial overview of Ovi Store at 6:30 GMT 30/10/10 browsing it from computer

OviStewey suggests, if I'm not mistaken, that Best Sellers calculations are based partly on previous week sales, but balanced with some shorter term sales, which if the case would explain some unexpected results sometimes. But I don't think we will ever know the exact way it is calculated.
    It is the second time that a game of mine appears in the top 12 for one day or two, on Nokia N8 , which you think should represent a quite important number of sales, however it was never really reflected in the reports on those days, so either all sales on OVI are very low and a difference of a few extra sales on a day can really have a huge impact in the ranking, or there are other variables that come into play to create a turnover.

I agree it may be unfair if you find your app/game to be always below your supposed ranking. On the other hand if you are in the best sellers but this doesn't reflect any increase in sales (at least not from the estimates), it is more like raising ones hopes in vain.

Hi, thanks for your quick post.

I think promoting "Mobi Screen Protectors!" discourages users. Also would be fine that message "There are no paid items available for this category" described in the previous post would be changed for the link to the most popular paid app in the category or write something like "No paid item has qualified for this category".

Regards,

Carlos.

By the way, I had N73 selected as my mobile phone while browsing the Store.
    Important detail

Browsing with N95 selected as my mobile:

In utilities section searching in the "New" category found in the second page "takeAchance" Rss feed. The image shows: "Hi there, Finally I got a chance to develop for iOS devices...".

I'm looking for "CountDa !" in the list, found it in page 48 or in other words in position 564 (published the 8th of September). It It will be very time and data consuming for somebody to find it by browsing the store. I'm very sad and discouraged, as a user by not being able to browse real utilities. Found 16 out 24 utility applications are Rss feeds in the first two pages of "new utilities" category.

Regards,

Carlos.
    Last edited by quarkos; 2010-11-01 at 17:34. Reason: Correction, changed "third page" to "second..."

Super Contributor

Hello,
    the big issue that Nokia's search engine works subpar is well known.

Did you try to send an email to the Ovi support detailing your issues?

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Hi Tam,

my app can be found through search but people who browse the store to see if they find apps to spend the money on, won't be able to reach it because of so much rss feeds (In fact the sales have dropped to almost zero). This will affect all developers unless they republish the apps (something that the QA team won't be happy about) .

Is not a pleasure to browse the Ovi store with so much rss feeds mixed up with actual applications. No body has so much spare time to go through them one by one and filter out the real apps. I think most people don't have interest in blogs when they are discovering utilities.

Cheers,

Carlos.

Ovi Store Utilities:

Is there any body (in charge of Ovi store) so kind to explain why the next items are considered utilities?

AcidS76´s tales
    Akils Blog
    Hong Kong Fashion Geek
    danishmujeeb.net
    buteek - Designer Wear
    WannaBe Geek
    Airdeccan
    101 SMS Pick Up Lines
    Allwoman
    Freakify.com
    MedNews Africa» Med News Afric
    Big Tattoo Planet - Latest Fea
    Motogari
    EcuadorLegal
    Venus
    Invisible Cloak
    go! magazine

These are only a few of many items that should be in a separate category as Blogs or Advertisement etc.

Thanks,

Carlos.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    if you ask me, it is because the developers set them to be an utility.

Nokia currently does not seem to enforce this. But: an own category for the RSS feeds would be gold indeed...
    My other blogs:

Thanks for your reply Tam.

RSS feeds should be out of the applications category all together. There should be another tab (as there is applications, games etc.) for them.

Super Contributor

You tell me?

I fully agree....
    My other blogs:

14 of November 2010, Browsing with "Your mobile: Nokia E71"
    When looking "CountDa !wide demo"(http://store.ovi.com/content/59986), it's payed version cannot be found in the related items list. The same is for Dialer-X | Demo and others. In fact, this "Related" items list is the same for every utility. The name "Related" is misleading.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    you know what - IMHO this desserved more attention. Send me an email to tamhan at tamoggemon dot com and I will work something out!

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    My other blogs:

On Monday the 3rd of January 2011 7:00pm UK time, browsing Ovi store with a desktop web browser and "Your mobile: Nokia E52" selected, "CountDa !" was in page 28 of best sellers applications and "JnR SONGS" in page 21. "CountDa !" has a price of £1 (please see link for more detail) while "JnR SONGS" is a blog at a price £4 (see link).

I wrote an email to support at Ovi publish asking about the situation that in my view is a non-sense. Since then I haven't got a reply but "CountDa !" is now in page 5 of best sellers and "JnR SONGS" in page 23.

Please take your own conclusion.