Discussion Board

Can an EXE and a GUI app have same UID3???

Hi All..

I have a GUI app which maintains a Database in its private Data Cage..

I have an EXE which runs in background and needs to access the Database of the GUI app which is Data Caged and in Private folder @ "c:/Private/[UID3 of GUI app]..

for my EXE to access the data caged Database..

1. I need to have the same UID3 as that of the GUI... [when I am trying to install both of the apps with same UID3.. obviously it is throwing Updata Error for the second app.. as another app resides already in the phone with same UID3].. HOW CAN I HAVE AN EXE AND A GUI WORKING TOGETHER WITH SAME UID3?? IS IT POSSIBLE

2.Another way I have read somewhere that I need some special privilaged capabilities for my EXE to actually talk to the Database of another application's private data... if so.. CAN SOMEONE PLZ SUGGEST ME WHAT ARE THOSE SPECIAL CAPABILITES NEEDED FOR MY EXE TO ACCESS GUI'S PRIVATE DATA..

I have given same application capabilities for my EXE and the GUI but it still did't help..

Plz suggest me a way to solve this..

Thank you...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can an EXE and a GUI app have same UID3???

No, they can not. They can not share a common private folder either. The special capability would be AllFiles, but you will not get it granted for such purpose. If one of the codes is always expected to be running when the other one is running, you can use IPC mechanisms for sharing their data.

Thanks for making it clear to me wizard_hu.. that cleared lot of confusion for me..

Jus one thing.. Do u see any other alternative that might suit or solve my problem??

Or Is it like.. my EXE should be a part of the GUI app (then only I can share the UID of the GUI??) and by this I can share and access the Private folder of the GUI app from my EXE along with the GUI...???

Thanks...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Wizard already gave you the alternative, baically you could implement the non-GUI exe as a server, and the GUI as a client, then you could use normal symbian client-server IPC for passing data from the database to the GUI app.