Discussion Board

Red face Emulating Symbian S60 2nd Edition Feature Pack 3 on Windows 2000 XP

Hi people,
    this is my first time here, I hope I can write down about this here, else sorry!

I am looking for a software to emulate Nokia N70 on my desktop PC running Windows 2000 Pro (I can find a Windows XP system if needed).
    I need some software to test .SIS application before to install the file on the phone.
    I am not a developer, I just like to test a lot of applications and I would like to install just only the ones that I like and I am sure they works good and are not dangerous for the phone.

I saw the "Symbian SDKs" tools here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/Library/T.../Symbian_SDKs/

Is it the tool I need?!
    Can you suggest an other software in the case it's not the tool I need?!

Thank you very much for your help!
    James

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Emulating Symbian S60 2nd Edition Feature Pack 3 on Windows 2000 XP

Symbian SDKs are including an emulator, which can run application build for the emulator. The device versions are build for device, and thus can not be run in the emulator. Also I'm not aware of any simulator/emulator that could run the device builds in the Windows OS.

Thus I would recommend you to get a test device, and run the apps on it. Just keep it clean, and format the device after each application tests and you should be fine. Anyway, why do you need to test the applciations ?, basically you could verify the developer of the files and that way make sure that they are ok to be used.

Hi, thank you for your infos!

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Symbian SDKs are including an emulator, which can run application build for the emulator. The device versions are build for device, and thus can not be run in the emulator.
    Also I'm not aware of any simulator/emulator that could run the device builds in the Windows OS.
    Hmm, I understand.. no known emulator running .SIS builds on Windows OS..
    I will continue for a little search again but if here noone knows.. it will be a unuseful search, I bet!
    I will let you know if I find some useful software.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Thus I would recommend you to get a test device, and run the apps on it. Just keep it clean, and format the device after each application tests and you should be fine.
    Anyway, why do you need to test the applciations ?, basically you could verify the developer of the files and that way make sure that they are ok to be used.
    Yes, it could be a good idea but I do not have a test device.. I would prefer an emulator anyway for a general test and then install the app on the phone.
    Anyway it is not everytime possible to verify the file developer for N70 because it is a old device, I often need old version and often I find software on sites that are not so secure or by P2P.
    There are also a class of *software* that are surely not secure but I think I cannot talk about them here..

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjameson View Post
    I often need old version and often I find software on sites that are not so secure or by P2P.
    There are also a class of *software* that are surely not secure but I think I cannot talk about them here..
    You should never ever use any software from pirate sites, if you do use them , you are breaking law, and any virus etc things you would get from there would be your own fault. Also if you are planning to re-distribute any software without a permission of the original developer, then you are also breaking a law.

We here are developers, and will not tolerate any breach of any developer rights for their own work, thus no help here is given for any illegal activities.

Yes, I know, I would have bet for this kind of answer.. but no problem, I am not used to break any law!
    One time I evaluated just one application for some more days of the legal trial time but I bought it at the end!
    Sometimes you need more than 3, 7 or 15 days to understand if it is good to spend 30 euro for an application for a 100 euro phone!

I also bought some other shareware applications but if you look for N70 applications on OVI Store you suddenly realize that they seems to have deleted old versions for old phones!
    It seems they want I buy a new phone and maybe they are right!
    And not all the developers publish apps on OVI!
    Thank you anyway for the answers!

To give a sense to the thread and some (hopefully, not surely) infos to the ones come here reading all the posts, I think I could solve my problem using SDK for N70 linked below (using the PC SISContent application to unzip SIS files, if needed)
    It should work also on Windows 2000 SP4

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...16-3.0-mr.html
    Last edited by jamesjameson; 2010-11-03 at 08:10. Reason: no double post

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjameson View Post
    To give a sense to the thread and some (hopefully, not surely) infos to the ones come here reading all the posts, I think I could solve my problem using SDK for N70 linked below (using the PC SISContent application to unzip SIS files, if needed)
    It should work also on Windows 2000 SP4

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...16-3.0-mr.html
    No, this is what Jukka mentions in the first post: the software development kits do have an emulator, but applications on the emulator are practucally Windows applications, compiled for x86 processors. On the device you have an ARM processor, and whatever you find in a .sis file is built for devices.