Discussion Board

Wink Location based alarm App "Are We There Yet?"

Hi all i am new to this forum and the world of development for nokia. i am a Digital media Development student in Winchester Hampshire. i have had an idea for a mobile app i want to make and don't relay know ware to start. below is a short description and example of were it could be used.

Location based alarm system for S60 nokia device (N86 8mp)

Example: you are on a train from Oxford to Glasgow you have a changeover at Wolverhampton, you wish to get on with your work or sleep but you need to know before your changeover so you have time to collect your belongings and exit the train, my app will allow the user to set a radius from the destination E.G 4 miles from Wolverhampton, when the device enters the proximity it will sound an alarm so that the user can stop working or wake up and collect their belongings with plenty of time to exit the train.

(Sean Duffy all rights reserved )

Is this a good idea?
    have you seen anything like it?
    have you any suggestions on how i should go about developing this?
    any tools, software?

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated thank you

Sean Duffy

sean1906@googlemail.com

Super Contributor

Re: Location based alarm App "Are We There Yet?"

Such apps have been around before (so it is not a bad idea). Before phones had GPS, they used to trigger an action (alarm or whatever) by entering a specific network cell (monitoring the, so called, cell ID); not very accourate, but good enough for many uses.

I've seen or read of location aware apps that can be used to trigger reminders, or to change the phone profile (from, e.g., "work" to "home", etc.), and also apps that are triggered to show invisible messages to others saved in the "air" (i.e., friends or strangers coming to a specific location see messages that someone has left for them for that occasion), and apps that when you come to a specific location have info that explain, e.g., the history of the location or buildings or monuments in the location.

Re: Location based alarm App "Are We There Yet?"

thank you for your feedback. i intend to develope this app in "Pulsar eclipse" has anyone used this software and is this the right tool?