Discussion Board

Forum thread posts in wrong order

How come the forum posts are not ordered by date in ascending order like every other forum on the internet? This makes the forum very difficult to read.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Forum thread posts in wrong order

I would not call it 'wrong' order, since active contributors probably benefit from seeing the most recent posts first. In older days it was configurable as I remember, but I can not find any related setting now.
    Note that there is a workaround: if you log out (or just start a different browser), the posts appear in ascending order.

yeah i also not call it in a wrong order..as post is done they are shown in order...
    and the post are comes in the assending order..

i would definitely call it "the wrong order" as every other forum in the history of the internet does it the other way 'round

and in any case, it's completely illogical that the order would change depending on whether or not your logged in

not to mention this quick reply box then appears below the post i'm replying to - surely if this was considered the proper order, this box should be at the top

of course i suppose this goes well with the bad, inconsistent ui of symbian...

Super Contributor

Hi there, joppe_k, malcomhall, jonnyrose123

We always welcome and appreaciate all feeback so, thank you for your comments.

All feedback will be noted and considered for possible future feature enhancements and possibly applied changes during when the site goes thru an update next time.

Best Regards,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Super Contributor

Call me slow, but what are you talking about?

a) The order of threads listed in one subforum, where the order is chronologically reversed (thread with newest post shows at the top)
    b) The order of messages in one thread, where the messages are shown in chronological order (newest message in the thread is at the bottom)

Or do you see the messages/threads in some other order?

This is the same order as in Google groups (and if I remember right, the same order was used in most of the text based and archaic news group reader programs)
    Almost same order is also used in Facebook (although the "threads" are shown based on the timestamp of the original posting...)
    I checked quickly Apple's discussion forums: same order.
    Ditto for IBM developer works.

So either I am seeing the messages in different order than you in here, or we have different idea about which one is wrong and right order...

What comes to the reply box being at the bottom of the thread, that fits better the chronological order of messages, as this way the message you are replying to is mostly visible when you are writing the reply.

Also I do not see any difference in the thread or message order when I am logged out, so I am wondering if this is some settings issue...

Hartti
    Last edited by hartti; 2010-12-01 at 07:22. Reason: clarifications

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    Call me slow, but what are you talking about?
    It is
    b) The order of messages in one thread, where the messages are shown in chronological order
    However
    (newest message in the thread is at the bottom)
    is not as simple. Personally I have configured my view several years ago, and it shows the newest messages on top (just like in the board view), and I like it. But it is not configurable any more, and some people do not like it, that is all. And this may be the default setting for new users, which they can not modify.
    Or do you see the messages/threads in some other order?
    Also I do not see any difference in the thread or message order when I am logged out, so I am wondering if this is some settings issue...
    Apparently you have configured it in a show-newest-on-bottom way in the distant past, and when the configuration disappeared, it was fixed in this way for your account.

Both show-newest-on-top and show-newest-on-bottom have supporters, the real problem is the lack of a related setting in the user profile.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the clarifications, wizard_hu!

Hartti

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but you can configure the order you want to see your messages here
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...do=editoptions

Excellent, that is the one.
    The question is: how can I access this page? (of course, it works if I click on your link, but I would really like to know where should I click, say, from http://discussion.forum.nokia.com).

To be honest, I don't know

I had the same malcomhall's problem and I didn't know how to solve it.
    So I went into another vbulletin forum I was registered into and once I found that page, I copied and pasted the url with the correct domain name (discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/)

Super Contributor

Good detective work, echelon89!, I'll point this thread to Nokia_Ron so he can make a request for changing this to be easily accessible.

Hartti

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

In trying to simplify choices (in order to go to one universal profile for all of Forum Nokia) we just removed the options for items that were not changed often. I will see if we can add this option back in. I think less than 1% ever changed the default settings.

Ron