Discussion Board

Symbian Web Runtime (wgz) vs Nokia Web Runtime (wgt)

Is Nokia Web Runtime = Qt Web Runtime?

I understand wgt follows W3C standards while wgz is a bit Nokia standards, but the question is,

Will Nokia discontinue supporting wgz, and force all wgz convered to wgt? Or wgz will still alive as long as Symbian OS survives?

BTW, anyone tried Nokia Web SDK 1.0.1? The builtin emulator renders widgets a lot of differences comparing with the real handsets and the emulators from Symbian SDKs.

Re: Symbian Web Runtime (wgz) vs Nokia Web Runtime (wgt)

I don't know about WGT, but WGZ support will be there for a quite some time.

i agree and as you will start to get confident with WGT you can bet that some other WG(NEW) will replace it to makes you a "newbie" once again ... that is programmer's life ...

Regular Contributor

hi sh2sg,
    yes, i'm using the websdk, ideally wgz will still be used for symbian os WRT, .wgt will be suitable for the current Maemo os on N900 and support the future Meego handsets,
    WRT = QTWRT? yes and no, yes for the concept of WRT such as PS2 apis, no because it renders better as well as it could support Nokia map connetor features and etc.

hope this helps

Chrs,
    Wen
    Nokia is back!

Thanks all for thr replies.

So wgt is not working on existing Symbian S60 and Symbian^3 since wgt's Widget Enigine only exists on Maemo OS? and old wgz will not work on Maemo too? If I didn't misunderstand....

Sounds like we need to maintain 2 codebases if we want to support Symbian and Maemo? though wgz and wgt have only minor differences.

Regular Contributor

That's a handset specified question tho, so far I'm pretty sure for N97 or N97mini it won't work for .wgt files, unless Nokia do another firmware updates in the future.
    And I believe this is the right approach for nokia's new handset capbilities as well.
    Nokia is back!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hello all!

Symbain Web Runtime is the official Web Runtime offering by Nokia. The runtime runs on the Symbian family of smartphones for developers with Web skills to create applications. Qt Web Runtime is used to run W3C compliant widgets (.wgt), and this runtime is maintained by Qt open source model. The Qt Web Runtime is not supported on Nokia Smartphones.

Recently, Nokia has announced its intents to simplify developer offering and to focus on Qt as it only application development framework for both Symbian and MeeGo devices. The other part of the announcement is that we will enable HTML5 supports in both Qt framework and in our browsing solutions. Therefore there will be framework solutions to continue supporting developers with Web skills to create mobile friendly applications.

Hope this helps!

I want to test a .wgz file . How can I integrate an emulator in Netbeans to do it ??