Discussion Board

Developers: give us a decent (portrait qwerty) keyboard for the N8. We are begging u!

Hi,

Like lot's of people i'm currently the owner of a Nokia N8. Apart from the already widely known shortcomings, it's a great phone. However, it's weakest point is 'text-input'.

Please ... somebody .. take a look at Gravity's new in-app keyboard .. and develop something like that system-wide. Decent layout, portrait qwerty, nice buttons.

Nokia announced that it will update the N8 in febr. 2011. That's a long time from now. You could be earning big money if someone would put a decent keyboard in Ovi Store.

(it's sad I have to ask developers for this .. as Nokia should have put more time on it themselves).

Super Contributor

Re: Developers: give us a decent (portrait qwerty) keyboard for the N8. We are beggin

Hi there svboxtel, and welcome to the discussion boards!

I am glad you have chosen our device, a Nokia N8, it truly is awesome!

And, thank you for the feedback. It is always important for us to get responses from users and developers aswell about our mobile devices.

About inputting text on N8, it is good to remember that the N8 touch screen is Capacitive Multi Touch (AMOLED Active matrix oled) and also it is
    As always with Capacitive touch screens, they are more touch sensitive and you do not need to put much pressure at all when typing.
    It ofourse may take a moment to find the best touching style on such displays, at least if one has moved from the N97 Resistive Single Touch,
    on which you actually need some pressure to cause action on screen.

Baed on my own personal experience, I had to make this small adaptation myself, because I also use N97 a lot. It is actually vice, versa as
    when I returned back from the capacitive screen to the resistive screen.

So, I am sure that in most cases finding the most convenient way of touching the screen is the key for typing, and this is just because the
    technology moves on and capacitive displays work the way they have been desinged to.

In general, as I said all feedback is important for us and we will follow discussion boards closely. However, if you would like to direct a feedback
    straightaway to the device platforms, the best way would be to write under this discussion area: Series S40 and S60 Platform Feedback.

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...tform-Feedback

As a Nokia mobile device user, the most efficient way to get responses on problems and help is to go here:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Best Regards,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Developers: give us a decent (portrait qwerty) keyboard for the N8. We are beggin

maybe you could try the swype: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...for_Symbia.php, anyway for normal developers replacing the input methods in system wide fashion is not really easy task, thus would not expect anybody to do that just for fun.

@Maveric : thanks for your reply. I know the difference between capacitive and resistive screens. That's not a problem for me (using products beginning with an 'i' for years know). However what IS a problem for me is the layout and choices that Nokia made. (T9 portrait, no option for qwerty in portrait .. layout of the keys in landscape etc). They now have made a budget for Swype, it's nice, a bit of a gimmick to me .. but far from ready (and not avail. in my language .. Dutch) ... but instead .. I think in this stage .. what Nokia should have done is , gather their developers and come up with a decent virt. keyboard in A WEEK ! It should be highest prio.

@symbianyucca: also thanks for your reply. Just want to point out that, right now, a GOOD alternative keyboard (with portrait qwerty and better layout ) would be a major success. in Ovi Store. So development wouldn't be for fun, but to make big money. There are millions of N8's sold already .. and I think we all miss a decent virtual-keyboard. That's the achilles-heel of the device if you ask me. Giving me daily frustrations.

Super Contributor

Hi there,

In all, thank you for your feedback sofar. However, I guess the feedback regarding possible enhancements and new features in general, all device platform related feedback would serve best if posted under the S40 and S60 Platforms feedback forum. That one is polled by R&D teams regularily. So in case someone would like to comment from there, that forum would be your best point for possible platform level responses to anything that falls on design and architecture initially.

Note to Admin: please check if you could move this thread under the S40 & S60 platform feedback. Thank you.

And to svboxtel still, keep on using the N8 and provide feedback also in the future. All feedback is of value to us!

Have a nice Sunday time,
    Best Regards,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Are there any examples on how to do system level development like this?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by seatkiwitle View Post
    Are there any examples on how to do system level development like this?
    What would you excatly want to do ?, basically there is old non-touch FEP examples that you could try to get started, and then you could have a look ito symbian foundation sources, while they are still available..

I have an idea for a keyboard and another idea to do with navigation. Can you provide links to any resources and/or examples?

Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by seatkiwitle View Post
    I have an idea for a keyboard and another idea to do with navigation. Can you provide links to any resources and/or examples?

Thanks in advance.
    Have you seen Swype application in the OVI store ???

Download it it will design your qwerty in different style....
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Swype...7-161515.shtml

Best regards,