Discussion Board

BUG in Symbian^3 "Advanced VoIP Settings"?

Using NOKIAs VoIP Client since an E65 some years ago up to use this service in an N86 and now the N8 I observed this strange behaviour when setting up a new VoIP service:

Unfortunately the "Advanced VoIP Settings" for Symbian^3 seem to have a BUG compared with the earlier versions for earlier Symbian versions. I use an N86 and voip just works fine there - even over VPN tunneled to my home SIP and VPN server.

The bug is in the configuration of the SIP profiles / VoIP services.

On N86 you may first configure a SIP profile (incl. a single individual "default access point"), then switch to "Advanced VoIP Settings > create new service" and you will find there the newly created SIP account to activate as a "service".

Or you may do it the other way round: Go to "Advanced VoIP Settings > create new service" and configure there the basic data of your SIP profile (public user name and password). This creates a SIP Profile where you only need to configure either a "default destination" for access or a single individual "default access point".

Now, on N8 when I configure a SIP Profile first and then create the corresponding VoIP service I can do this - BUT TO THIS VOIP SERVICE I CANNOT LOGIN!

If creating the service the other way round > creating the VoIP Service and thus creating the corresponding SIP Profile in THIS SIP PROFILE NO INDIVIDUAL "DEFAULT ACCESS POINT" CAN BE CHOSEN - "INTERNET" IS PREDETERMINED AS "DEFAULT DESTINATION" AND CANNOT BE CHANGED (unless you configure also VPN - in this case you can also choose "intranet" instead of "internet").

The possibility to configure an individual "default access point" in a SIP Profile is in certain circumstances important when using VPN!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: BUG in Symbian^3 "Advanced VoIP Settings"?

first thing you could do, is to try compiling the code with Symbian^3 SDK, and see whether it has any differences. Then if it still does not work, see from the symbian foundation source codes whether you are uisng it correctly (basically find a place where the API is used and try copying the code)

And if it still does not work, then you could always make a bug report.

Thx for this quick reply. Before digging deeper one more simple question just for evaluation of my observation: Is the observed behaviour "normal" and "general" in N8 setting up VoIP services in S^3?
    Greetings to Bangkok - lived there for a few years.

Got the -certainly somewhat surprising- solution here.

Try first to create another destination, e.g. 'VoIP' and set / include some access points in it.
    Afterwords you can change the default destination from 'Internet' to 'VoIP', etc.