Discussion Board

Hybrid View

JSR 272 for receiving DVB-H content

Hi Friends,
    I am planning to build an application using JSR 272 API for receiving and playing DVB-H content. I have couple of doubts regarding the same.
    [
    • From where do i get JSR 272 libraries
    • If JSR 272 libraries are not available and device supports JSR 272, how do we develop application for that device using eclipse

Super Contributor

Re: JSR 272 for receiving DVB-H content

I guess you get JSR reference implementations form Oracle/Sun; see http://www.jcp.org

I doubt that there are any Nokia devices with JSR-272 support, but check here (not the best of search pages, but...): http://www.forum.nokia.com/search/?view=ds

I also have serious doubts that Nokia will ever add JSR-272 support to any device, if it isn't there already in some existing model with DVB-H support.

If the devices does not have built-in JSR-272 support, it seems like something that no developer can add on their own without the manufacturer's support (probably impossible to implement on top of other JSRs, but needs intimate hardware and Java VM integration).

I don't know if there are any other manufacturers with JSR-272 support on their devices (and on which markets such devices might be available on).

Thanks petrib for the reply.
    If not JSR 272 API then what is the way to receive DVB-H content and playback video on device which has DVB-H receiver .

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by venkata_raghavan View Post
    Thanks petrib for the reply.
    If not JSR 272 API then what is the way to receive DVB-H content and playback video on device which has DVB-H receiver .
    The way to do it is to use the manufacturer supplied DVB-H content playback application that they deliver preinstalled (presumably) as part of the device firmware.

For an application developer: Try persuading the device manufacturer to give you access to APIs for this, if they are not available in their standard SDKs.

A bit late, however, for those coming from a Internet search engine: In 2011, Nokia Symbian added Broadcast API (JSR-272) …